13. Talking rings and talking cradles.

Penelope and Colin sat on the couch at the Bridgerton house, surrounded by his siblings. Daphne was about to arrive with her baby, and the family was buzzing with anticipation. As they waited, Colin took Penelope's hand in his, his fingers gently brushing against the bandage wrapped around it. He examined it closely, his brow furrowing with concern.

'How is your hand?' he asked softly, his voice filled with genuine concern. 'Any pain?'

Penelope hesitated, taken aback by his unexpected tenderness. 'It is... it is better,' she replied, her voice barely above a whisper. 'Just a dull ache now.' Colin's grip tightened ever so slightly, a subtle gesture of support. 'Good,' he said, his eyes meeting hers with a sincerity that made her heart flutter despite herself. 'If it worsens, you must tell me.'

Before Penelope could respond, Hyacinth, perched on a nearby armchair and usually one for cheeky comments, broke the charged silence with a teasing tone. 'You two look so sweet,' she said, her voice laced with mischief. 'Are you about to kiss?'

Penelope's face flushed a deep crimson, and she pulled her hand away instinctively, her gaze dropping to her lap. The other Bridgerton siblings exchanged glances, some smirking, others trying to stifle their laughter. Penelope, feeling the heat of their scrutiny, shifted uncomfortably on the couch. Colin, his face now a mask of controlled composure, turned slightly to face Hyacinth, a hint of a smile playing on his lips.

'Hyacinth,' he said, his voice steady but carrying an edge of amusement, 'you have a remarkable talent for timing.'

Hyacinth giggled, clearly enjoying the effect of her comment. 'Just observing,' she said innocently, her eyes dancing with amusement. 'I must say, I envy the bond you share. I would love to share a love like yours.' 

Penelope's cheeks flushed crimson. In her mind, she was bewildered—there was no profound love between her and Colin, only a semblance of connection and the occasional shared moment. The only kiss they had exchanged was at the church, a fleeting, ceremonial gesture rather than a declaration of deep emotion.

Just then, the door opened, and Daphne entered with her baby cradled in her arms. The room's attention immediately shifted to her, and a ripple of excitement passed through the siblings. Daphne's smile was radiant as she greeted everyone, and the baby, swaddled in a soft blanket, cooed softly.

One by one, the Bridgerton siblings took turns holding the baby, their faces alight with joy as they gazed at the new arrival. The baby's tiny fingers wrapped around their larger ones, and each interaction was filled with gentle cooing and affectionate smiles.

Daphne turned to Penelope, her eyes twinkling with a blend of encouragement and warmth. 'Penelope,' she said, 'would you care to hold him?'

Penelope's eyes widened slightly. She glanced at the baby, then back at Daphne, her expression a mixture of hesitation and uncertainty. 'Oh, I... I have never held a baby before,' she admitted softly. 'I should not want to upset him.'

Daphne's smile remained gentle and encouraging. 'He is quite content, I assure you. I am certain he will be perfectly at ease with you.' Penelope's gaze flicked momentarily towards Colin, who was watching the scene with a thoughtful expression. His eyes met hers for a brief, charged moment. There was a softness in his gaze that seemed to convey reassurance and a hint of something deeper.

After a moment of hesitation, Penelope nodded slowly. 'Very well,' she said, her voice trembling slightly. 'I will give it a try.' Daphne carefully handed the baby to Penelope, guiding her gently. As Penelope cradled the tiny form in her arms, she felt a wave of awe mixed with apprehension. The baby's warm weight was surprisingly comforting, and he looked up at her with curious eyes, his tiny hand reaching out.