| Come Back |

I BOLTED OUT OF THE HOUSE BEFORE MY AUNT COULD UTTER ANOTHER WORD

I BOLTED OUT OF THE HOUSE BEFORE MY AUNT COULD UTTER ANOTHER WORD. I felt different emotions running through me as I wiped the tear that trickled down my cheek with the back of my hand covered by my sweater. The weather was horrible in other words as rain was trickling and here I was wandering in the rain. Not that I was in the right mind to think of anything else than the pain I felt at that time.

I sat on the stairs at my aunt's house, feeling like I'd been punched in the gut. I had thought I was escaping the tension and heartache of my marriage by coming here, but now I realized I had just traded one toxic situation for another. My aunt, who I had thought was a safe haven, had been playing me all along.

The sound of tires crunching up the driveway made my heart sink even further. It was him, arriving in his sleek Audi RS 7, no doubt here to rub salt in my wounds. I had thought I was done with him, but now I was stuck in this web of deceit and betrayal, courtesy of my aunt's manipulation. I braced myself for the confrontation, my mind racing with anger, hurt, and despair.

He stepped out of the car I used to visit this same house in the passengers seat only the situation was different now, his long legs striding towards me with a calm gait. His eyes met mine, but his gaze was neutral, lacking any real emotion.

"Hey." He said, his voice even, like he was stating a fact rather than greeting someone he once shared a life with. He remained at the bottom of the stairs and I didn't bother moving my position.

I crossed my arms, my heart racing with a mix of anxiety and defiance. "What brings you here?"

He shrugged, his shoulders barely rising off his chest. "Thought we could talk."

"About what?" I asked, my tone measured.

He paused, his eyes gazing off to the side. "About the state of things, I guess."

I guess?

I raised an eyebrow. "The state of things?"

He nodded. "Yeah. Our marriage. Our separation. Whatever this is."

The way he phrased it set me off, like I was throwing a tantrum and he was just here to put out the small fire with the confidence of me coming back, running to him with my arms wide open.

"We already said what needed to be said. No need to rehash the past." I stood to my feet making my way down the staircase as I addressed him.

"I realized I shouldn't have handled the situation the way I did. Which probably resulted in you leaving." Zaheer maintained his calm demeanor, trying to explain the situation from my understanding.

"So what," I chuckled humorously. "You suddenly believe what I have to say or are you saying this to take me back?" I asked stopping right in front of him. He nibbled on his under lip seeming to be in contemplation as he flickered his eyes to mine.