valentine's day (shameful)

Kehlani

It all started the day after Valentine's Day.

For most girls, waking up to dozens and dozens of red roses decorating every room in their home would seem like a fairytale.

If it came from the heart, that is.

These roses were not a gift, they were an apology for what I had seen the night before.

Shaina and I stumbled in the house a little after 3 a.m. from the Valentine's Day after party, at the aptly named club Cupid's Kiss. Though I am three years sober since my public downfall after my split from Kyrie Irving, my partner is the opposite.

"I'm gonna go shower to try to sober up," Shaina slurred, as she put her phone down on the island.

"Okay," I softly smiled, rubbing my arms.

Truth be told, Shaina had been extremely distant in the past few months. I assumed it was stress from her job as a high-profile tattoo artist in the Los Angeles area. However, her behavior has only escalated since it began. What went from her only holding my hand or kissing me in public at events, grew into her not touching me at all.

I had my suspicions of course, but I never had a reason to suspect her cheating on me, until now. The entire time we were at the Valentine's event, her head was buried in her phone, even as I went on stage and foolishly dedicated and sang the song I wrote for her, "Honey", to her.

Enough was enough.

Using her password to unlock her phone, I went to her messages and began scrolling. To the naked eye, it would look like she was simply texting clients, but I was far from stupid. Once I found what I was looking for, it was worse than I initially expected.

Samaya: Are you still with Kehlani?

Shaina: unfortunately. she hasn't left for rehearsal yet.

Shaina: send me something to make me feel better?

Samaya: Anything for you baby.

Samaya: [Attachment: 2 Images]

Samaya: We miss you.

My heart immediately drops to my stomach as tears silently pour from my eyes. My hands begin shaking as I stand up and head towards the bathroom. As I place my hand on the doorknob, Shaina steps out, stopping me.

"Hey baby, what's wrong?" Shaina looks at me, and I swear I notice her face paling.

I shift my weight from one foot to another. "I'll ask one time," I force myself to look her square in the face. "Who is Samaya?"

As soon as her name escapes my lips, Shaina fully pales and reaches for me. "Baby it's not what you think-" She starts to say, but I laugh harshly, cutting her off.

"Not what I think? Not what I fucking think?! Well, what I THINK, Shaina, is that I saw another woman nude and fully displayed for you in your messages. On fucking VALENTINE'S DAY Shaina." I snatch my hand from her grasp and turn away from her, mostly because I don't think I'd be able to say the next sentence if I saw her face.

"Get out of my house Shaina." I say calmly, walking out of the bathroom into the bedroom we once shared. I hear Shaina follow behind me and gather some of her things, but I don't look away from the window I'm staring out of.