The New Kid in (Dial)Town

Once we were free of those weird mobsters, getting through the rest of the area was a breeze. Since it was practically the middle of the night, not many people were out and about. The only people we passed were either drunk or high off their balls and posed no problem to us. Even if they did, I'm sure Norm would have dealt with them efficiently.

I noticed the way the shorter, suburban-style houses and shacks slowly morphed into staggeringly tall, urban buildings. Then the area became more recognizable; I spotted the familiar bank and the movie theater that I never went to, though I often found myself curious what movies were like in a world where everybody had phones for heads. I would have gone to see a movie, but the first time I walked in there, the kid working the concessions counter kept calling my head 'groovy' and 'radical' to the point of it being excessive. Oh, and I got harassed by a vengeful spirit, so that discouraged me from returning.

The streets were empty, save for the occasional homeless person or rabid raccoon. One of them talked to me once. A raccoon, not a homeless person. It was kind of crazy. I can't quite remember what he said, but I think it was some kind of cryptic message foretelling the arrival of some ancient God. And no, I had not consumed any nectar... that I knew of.

"Welcome to Uptown Dialtown, Mr. Allen," I turned to face Norm, who made a face at the way I referred to him. "Where the air smells like crystal meth, and the crystal meth smells like... actually, nevermind." I waved my hand dismissively. "I've never actually smelled the crystal meth."

"Damn." Norm's Sharpied eyes were wide with what seemed to be awe, scanning his surroundings and taking it all in. "This is Uptown Dialtown? This place has gone t' shit."

"Yeah, it does that," I winced. "I have good news and bad news."

The cowboy turned to me with a confused expression. He gestured for me to go on.

"The good news is that Mingus' office is close by. The bad news is that we're in Uptown Dialtown. This place sucks ass, and we also might meet God, which is never good." I looked around skeptically, analyzing our immediately area to see if the dogman I spoke of was nearby. He wasn't. Thank–... I will not be finishing that statement. Might summon him or something.

Norm scoffed cynically. "I don't think so, pardner. God lives up there," he pointed to the darkened sky with the hand that wasn't holding a revolver. "We won't be meetin' him tonight. At least, I hope we won't be."

I shrugged. "Alright, Norm. Alright."

There was a brief pause before Norm spoke once more. "Where to?"

I sucked in a small breath through my teeth. "Probably the subway. I don't feel like walking the fifteen minutes it takes to get there." I didn't allow him the time to object to taking the subway, marching in the direction of the nearest station entrance.

It didn't take long to get to the station. We descended the gross concrete stairs to the platform and checked to see if anyone was looking before hopping the turnstile. Our only witness was a stray cat, which I immediately threatened to get it to swear that it wouldn't tell. It promptly scratched at my phone-face and sprinted away. I'm pretty sure Norm thought I was a psychopath.

Regardless, we had some time before the train to Downtown Dialtown would arrive. The trains ran 24/7 for some odd reason, but that was none of my business. I just wanted to get out of there before Rat Hour hit.

We stood in silence for a few moments before Norm broke it. "...Say, (Y/N), I'm not cut out fer this, am I?"

My metaphorical eyebrows lifted in shock. "Damn, dude, that's a deep question. And out of nowhere, too. What prompted that?"