𝐖𝐞𝐥𝐜𝐨𝐦𝐞 𝐭𝐨 𝐔𝐜𝐨𝐧𝐧 - 𝟎𝟐

May 8, 2023 - Ciudad de México

"... he wants her to go and finish college at Uconn," concluded Maria's coach.

Right now Maria and her parents were having a meeting with her coach in her office, so Maria's parents could have a better picture of what happened and what Geno had offered Maria while they were in Miami. 

"I would really like for my daughter to go," said David, Maria's dad, "but I don't think neither me nor Andrea could afford it."

"Oh, you don't have to worry about that, Uconn is offering her a full ride," her coach replied. 

"Really?," asked Andrea reaching for her daughter's hand, "honey, your dad and I are so proud of how far you've come."

"Thanks mom," replied Maria with a smile on her face. 

"Well then, what do you say? If you accept the offer, we will start the process right away," encouraged the coach. 

"Yes! This is a great opportunity," concluded David. 

With that being said the meeting ended. Maria and her family went home and started to discuss the offer. Maria had to be at Uconn on the 1st of June, so she could start practicing with the team during the summer program. That gave them a little bit less than one month to have everything sorted out. 

During this three weeks Maria completely changed. She changed the way she viewed basketball. With this offer she now understood the big impact this game could have in her life. Maria knew that not only would she have to push herself harder, but also the mind capability she would need to have in order to play the games. Basketball was not only physical but also a mental game. If your mind was not in the moment, the game would slip right out of your hands in just a matter of seconds. That was her fear, to not be able to handle the pressure, to not be able to handle the mental blocks she would constantly have. 

The game and her capability of playing were not the only things running through her mind, but also her new team. Was she going to blend in with them, or will they leave her out? Will she have chemistry with them on the court? What will be her spot on the team? Maria knew that in America the level of competition was better, greater. The thought of only getting 1-2 minutes per game was racing through her mind. Those short minutes would tell the world what she is capable of doing, and she knew she would have to leave it all on the court. She not only needed to prove to others what she could do, but also prove to herself that she can do it. 

May 31, 2023 - Ciudad de Mexico (Airport 11.49 p.m.)

Maria and her family arrived to the airport. Maria got out of the car with her mom, as her dad took out the trunk her suitcases. They started walking to the terminal. 

Geno had reached through the phone to Maria and her family. He explained how the summer program started the 1st, and that the sessions would start at 10 a.m. He asked if Maria could travel the night of the 31st so she could arrive in the morning. All Maria could think about was how jet-lagged she would feel, but Geno told her that the first session would only be held for introductions and dorm assignments. Now that was exciting, she just prayed for a good roommate. It would be best for her to be partnered up with a freshman so that she would be staying with someone in her same situation. 

"Sweetie, you flight is about to board. You better get going," Andrea said.

"I-I don't wanna go," said Maria with tears in her eyes. This would be her first time living in another country without her two pillars to support her.