𝐈𝐭'𝐬 𝐍𝐢𝐜𝐞 𝐓𝐨 𝐇𝐚𝐯𝐞 𝐀 𝐅𝐫𝐢𝐞𝐧𝐝 - 𝟎𝟔

June 1, 2023 - Storrs Uconn Gym (10:47 a.m.)

Geno walked down from his office and made his way to the gym. The girls were all waiting there for him. Most of them talked with each other. Maria and Nika were getting to know each other a little bit more. Maria was extremely glad a senior was there to help her this season. Not only was Nika one of the best players at Uconn but she was also an amazing person. Nika tried to make Maria felt welcomed and not alone in this new journey of her life. 

"Everybody, listen up. I'm going to assign your dorm partners," said Geno as he started listing of the names. 

After Geno was done listing the names, Maria was the only one remaining. Nika had been partnered up with Aubrey. Nika said her good-byes to Maria and made her way outside of the gym, with Aubrey. 

"Maria, follow me to the office," said Geno as he turned around and started heading for the stairs. Maria followed closely. What was going on? 

When they finally arrived to the office, Geno pushed the door open. Paige was sitting on of the chairs scrolling through Instagram. If Maria was confused before, she was certainly much more now. Paige looked up to the door and greeted them both with a small smile. Maria returned the smile. Geno gestured for her to take a sit in the chair besides Paige. 

"Paige was telling me about how you guys met," started Geno. Maria could only nod, not knowing what was happening. She felt how Paige's eyes were watching her carefully. Maria decided not to turn to look at her and keep herself focused on what Geno was about to say. 

"I already got Paige's confirmation to do this," Geno continued, "How would you feel being roommates with her?"

Maria turned her face towards Paige. Paige never took her eyes away from her. When their eyes met, Paige couldn't help but smile at the girl. Maria felt like they could start a friendship, and having someone that she already knew as a roommate would be better. Maria took her eyes away from Paige and turned to look at Geno. 

"Yeah, I think it's a good idea," said Maria with a small smile on her face. 

"Excellent!," said Geno as he opened up a drawer from his desk. He took out a key to a dorm which had the number 59 on it. He handed the keys to Paige, which she gladly took and placed them inside of her short's pocket. 

"You should get going," Geno said to the girls. Both of them got up. Paige walked towards the door and noticed that Maria didn't followed her. Maria walked towards her suitcases and started to pick them up. Paige, when she noticed, walked towards her. 

"Here, lemme help," Paige said as she got the two suitcases, leaving Maria with only her backpack. 

"I can carry one, don't worry," said Maria looking up at Paige. 

"Nahh, it's fine. Don't worry," said Paige as she winked at the girl. Maria felt her heat skip a beat, but didn't think any of it. 

"Thanks Coach!," said Paige as they headed outside of his office. 

The walk from the gym to the dorms was longer than expected. Especially since both girls were nervous to talk to each other. About halfway in their walk Paige decided to start the conversation. 

"Sooo, how did you committed to Uconn?," she asked. Paige felt like that was a decent question to get to know Maria better. 

"Ohh, well, in my old college, our coach took us to Miami to play against some teams. You know to gain experience and everything. Turns out Geno was in the crowd watching us. So yeah, that's basically it," said Maria.