Chapter 11 47 AD, Rome, Lugdunum, Bodona, and Antioch

Snow blanketed the ground and most surfaces as Beaky climbed in his litter for the ride to the Curia. His eldest son, Marcus Antonius Primus, had been transferred from the Guard to V at Bodona, and Iullus had gone to Antioch to fill a place in XII. Vinicius and Artorius Bricius were supposed to be the Consuls, but Vinicius had been reactivated to take over V, and Artorius was now Acting Governor of Gaul, after Castillus passed with a heart attack. Polcher had been transferred to North Africa, at his request, so Artorianus was back with XIV. Julius and Valerius were Suffects, deputy or substitute Consuls, so they were on duty now.

"How is everybody?" Valerius asked as they took their seats in the chamber and waited for their colleagues to assemble.

"Marcus and Iullus are settled in," Beaky said. "Iullus is betrothed to Annia now. They'll marry when she's fifteen."

"And I'm sure the Bricii are happy," Valerius said.

"Antonius is due to be engaged to a girl in Lugdunum. He and Artos are in Bodona cleaning up that mess. Nervius and Gaius have a tutor and are settling down. Nervius has a friend in Marcellus Vinicius and couldn't be happier."

"At least some things are looking up," Valerius said. "Valeria and the August One are on again, off again, mostly off. I wish they'd make up their damned minds."

...

Claudius sat down to the usual mess on his tablinum, wondering how things could get any stranger. Bodona had almost come completely apart, and only timely intervention by Aulus Gabinius, Governor Brennus, and a few senior enlisted men had saved the garrison. Aulus rode day and night to Trevororum to alert Governor Brennus, who reactivated him as a tribune. It turned out that the Camp Prefect, Centurion Julius Valeda, had issued the countersignals which kept the men in their barracks and prevented them from flaming into open revolt. It was he who had sent the lictor to Aulus, knowing Young Gabinius would help. Despite his shredded back, Centurion Dustus continued to urge calm and reason, and refused to allow the outraged men to rebel in his name.

Artos returned to Lugdunum and went at once to Bodona. He soon had the garrison in hand. Brennus had relieved both Sextus Gabinius and Scaevus pending a full inquiry, and placed Artos in command until Vinicius could arrive. The King was conducting a thorough investigation in his usual manner and keeping Rome informed. After his injury in the Germanic Campaign six years ago, Sextus had had several seizures or strokes, which made his suspicious and angry nature even worse. The last of these happened as the news of his son's affair broke, and he became unhinged. Still, his suspicions had some merits. Caratacus was trying to infiltrate the garrison. Claudius relieved Gabinius with his record intact, placed him in his son's care, and ordered Aulus to take wardship of the older man and care for his needs.

Artos had relieved Scaevus and begun a formal inquiry and it was becoming apparent that he, not Segovaxus, was Caratacus' contact in Bodona. The Scaevii descended from one of Julius Caesar's most decorated Centurions. They had lands throughout Gaul, were obscenely wealthy, and proud of their Latin heritage. What Scaevus hoped to gain by doing Caradoc's bidding was unclear, but it went to the grave with him. He committed suicide when summoned to appear before Artos to explain his conduct, declaring that he would not have a Celt sitting in judgment of him.

Scaevus' motivations were murky, but those of Segovaxus were clear as fine glass. His uncle, Vericus of the Cantiaci, coveted the High Kingship of Britannia, hoped to keep his hold on the contested Tamesia Valley, and stood to make a killing from the new town of Londinium. Ditto Antebus, the uncle to Segovaxus and brother to Vericus. Segovaxus, obviously not the dumb oaf most people believed he was, was willing to sell his own father to the Romans. Claudius had sources in Britannia who confirmed that, too. Segovaxus refused to believe that he and Caratacus were related, but the markings were there. There were openings in IX and II stationed in Britannia, but Claudius wanted to keep Vericus' heir and Caratacus' baseborn son in a safe place. To that end, he wrote to Barca in Antioch that he would be pleased to dower Urracca as the bride of Segovaxus.