Chapter 4: Navigating The Tides

The days began to blend into a rhythm of new habits and rekindled moments. Wonyoung and Sunghoon worked on their balcony garden whenever they had a free evening, the small project becoming a sanctuary for both of them. The garden flourished under their care, mirroring the slow but steady healing of their relationship.

One Saturday morning, Wonyoung woke to the sound of rain tapping gently against the windows. She stretched and glanced at the clock, surprised to see that Sunghoon was still beside her, sleeping soundly. Usually, he was up early, even on weekends. She smiled, enjoying the rare moment of watching him at peace.

Careful not to wake him, Wonyoung slipped out of bed and headed to the kitchen to prepare breakfast. As she set the table with pancakes, fruit, and freshly brewed coffee, she heard Sunghoon stir and soon he joined her, looking more relaxed than she had seen him in a long time.

"Good morning," she said, placing a stack of pancakes in front of him.

"Good morning," he replied with a smile, pulling her into a hug before they sat down to eat. "This looks delicious. Thanks, Baby."

They ate breakfast together, chatting about the week and their plans for the day. Wonyoung suggested a lazy day indoors since the rain showed no signs of stopping, and Sunghoon readily agreed. They spent the morning watching movies and playing board games, laughing and talking like they used to.

As the afternoon rolled around, Sunghoon received a call from work. Wonyoung watched as he answered, noting the change in his demeanor as he listened. When he hung up, he turned to her with an apologetic look.

"I'm sorry, Wonyoung. Something came up at the base. I need to go in for a few hours," he said, his voice filled with regret.

Wonyoung felt a pang of disappointment but quickly pushed it aside. She knew how important his job was, and she didn't want to add to his stress. "It's okay, Sunghoon. I understand. Just come back as soon as you can."

He nodded and gave her a quick kiss on her lips before heading out. Wonyoung watched him leave, the warmth of their morning together slowly fading. She decided to spend the time working on the garden, hoping the familiar routine would lift her spirits.

As she tended to the plants, her mind wandered to the letter she had written and the changes she had seen in Sunghoon since then. He was making an effort, and she could see that he genuinely cared. But moments like this reminded her that they still had a long way to go.

Hours passed, and the rain continued to fall. Wonyoung had just finished repotting a fern when she heard the front door open. Sunghoon stepped inside, drenched from the rain but looking relieved to be home.

"Hey," he said, his eyes lighting up when he saw her. "I'm sorry I took so long. How was your day?"

Wonyoung smiled, wiping her hands on a towel. "It was okay. I worked on the garden a bit. How was work?"

"Busy," Sunghoon replied, shaking his head. "But I'm glad to be back."

They changed into dry clothes and settled in the living room. Sunghoon looked around, taking in the cozy atmosphere Wonyoung had created. "You’ve really made this place feel like home," he said, his voice filled with appreciation.

Wonyoung’s heart warmed at his words. "Thanks, Sunghoon. That means a lot to me."

They spent the evening talking, sharing stories from their past and dreams for the future. Sunghoon opened up about the pressures of his job, something he had rarely done before. Wonyoung listened, offering support and understanding. She realized that his emotional distance had been a defense mechanism, a way to cope with the weight of his responsibilities.

As the night wore on, they grew closer, their connection deepening with each shared moment. Wonyoung felt a sense of hope and renewal, believing that they were on the right path.

Before heading to bed, Sunghoon took Wonyoung’s hand and led her to the balcony. The rain had stopped, leaving the city glistening under the streetlights. They stood together, looking out at their little garden, the plants thriving despite the storm.

"Thank you for being patient with me," Sunghoon said, his voice soft. "I know I haven’t been the easiest person to live with, but I’m trying. For us."

Wonyoung squeezed his hand, her heart swelling with love. "I know, Sunghoon. And I appreciate it more than you know. We’ll get through this together."

They stood there for a while, the silence between them comfortable and reassuring. Wonyoung felt a sense of peace, knowing that their love was strong enough to weather any storm.

As they turned to go inside, Sunghoon pulled her into a gentle embrace. "I love you, Wonyoung. More than words can say."

She looked up at him, her eyes shining with tears of happiness. "I love you too, Sunghoon. Always."

And with that, they walked back into their home, ready to face whatever the future held, side by side.