Chapter 3 | The Royal Ball

Chapter 3| The Royal Ball

Rose's POV

We took a private jet to the castle and arrived about six hours later. I was exhausted, but as soon as we got down, a huge crowd of reporters attacked us. The bodyguards barely managed to keep them from getting to me, but even so, I still heard a lot of questions being fired my way.

"What's your name?"

"Where are you from?"

"Is it true that you're here to overthrow the king?"

This last question came from a reporter with a beefy red face and a sparse head of hair. I shot him a look before Henry shoved me into the awaiting limo. As we were driving, I caught a glimpse of the castle and time just seemed to freeze right there and them. It seemed that it was straight out of the fairy tales Mum had read to Emily and me as children. It was beautiful and I fell in love with it at once.

Then Henry just had to ruin the moment by saying, "Close your mouth, you'll let flies in."

I closed it and glared at the guards, all of whom were snickering. Some people were just so childish. A few minutes later, we arrived in the courtyard of the castle. It was amazing, but I didn't have time to look around because I was ushered into the castle by Henry. There, I met a woman with curly auburn locks and warm brown eyes who took me from Henry saying, "So this is the princess, eh? Well, dearie, let's go get you dressed up, shall we?"

"Yes, hurry up with it, Deidre. The king doesn't like to be kept waiting," said Henry, as he scurried off, no doubt to perform another duty.

Deidre led me to the most beautiful room I'd ever seen. There was a beautiful queen sized bed in the middle room where I was led to and feeling the sheets, I found they were amazingly soft and snug. I felt like lying there right there and then, because I was so tired. My eyes flickered shut when, all of a sudden, Deidre shouted.

"What on earth are you doing, Your Highness?" she exclaimed.

"Erm, sleeping?" I said, unsure of what the problem was.

"No, that will never do," she said. "Didn't you hear what Sir Oswald said? The king is expecting you and what the king wants, the king gets. Now, get over here."

I got up, grumbling about how princesses needed their beauty sleep as Deidre helped me to change into a simple, yet pretty gown. It had elbow length sleeves, and was a beautiful emerald green.

"Wow," I gasped, spinning around for Deidre to see the gown clearly. "I love it."

She smiled, obviously pleased with her work. A cough from the door distracted us and I saw a man in the uniform of the guards, or lackeys as I liked to call them, who was obviously there to escort me to see the king.

"His Majesty demands that the Princess comes to see him now," he said, marching out of the room, obviously meaning that I should follow.

I did, looking all around at the beautiful tapestries on the walls as we walked. We reached a huge set of double doors guarded by four guards. Any idiot could see that this was clearly the king's throne room. One of the guards announced my presence, and I meekly entered, closely followed by the guard who had brought me here.

The first thing I noticed about the king was how white his beard was.

The second thing was how blue his eyes were.

The third was how tall he was as he stood up to get a better look at me.

I almost fainted as he spoke.