Chapter 13| Rockley and Stan

Rose's POV

It had been a week since I had been kidnapped. I was going stir-crazy with nothing to do. The man who had slapped me hadn't come back, and I was left in the care of the other two men, Stan and Rockley.

Rockley was nice enough, chatting with me and telling me of his daughter and son who were married and in University respectively. He would sometimes sit by me and play Monopoly, chess or Scrabble just to while the time away.

I tried to stay away from Stan. Most of the times I saw him, he was nursing a bottle of beer, eyes bloodshot. He'd leered at me more than once, so much so that I didn't feel comfortable bathing until I was sure he wasn't around.

Rockley had been kind enough to buy me some really thick paperbacks for times when I was bored. Although they were all classics, Jane Eyre, Little Women and their companions kept me rather entertained. I was a rather slow reader, and wanted to make them last as long as I could.

He had also told me that they hadn't really wanted to hold me captive, but they had been blackmailed into it. They'd worked together as a team and done some things in the past that they weren't proud of. Just when they'd turned over a new leaf, a figure from their past had shown up and threatened to rat them out if they didn't help.

It had taken a while, but we had worked out a chore schedule. I was to make sure the warehouse was always clean; Stan was a clean freak. Rockley was in charge of the laundry, but he usually just sent everything to the Laundromat when he went to town every Sunday.

Stan, surprisingly enough, was in charge of cooking. He was a pretty good chef, but I always made sure he and Rockley started eating before I did. I had to admit, he made a mean spaghetti bolognaise.

Each night, I looked up at the stars, and wondered what Emily was doing. If she had been here, she would have thought of a way out of here a long time ago. My little sister was very ingenious-and I had never appreciated her.

The saying was true; absence did make the heart grow fonder. I had changed in just a week, and as soon as I got out of here, I'd prove it. To everyone.

Dedicated to GreaterWorks for the lovely cover!

Short chapter, but still a chapter.