Playing with Fire

Charlotte's POV:

Tomorrow came swiftly, yet the passing hours felt like an eternity in motion.

"Do we have any other stuffs we could use for external designs? And does anyone here have experience with graphic design? The visuals in your pamphlets don't reflect the reality of your resort," I pointed out, scanning the outdated brochures.

"It's because those photos were taken like... 5 years ago," Win chimed in, shifting boxes around the reception area.

"And that's precisely the issue! You're fortunate not to have attracted more tourists with those brochures, or you could have faced legal trouble for false advertising," I sighed, shaking my head. "We need to update the décor, make some minor renovations, and find someone skilled in photography and graphic design to overhaul our promotional materials."

I did my best to outline my plans, heartened by their enthusiastic reception. Working with a team so open to ideas and devoid of dissent was refreshing.

Offering guidance and suggestions here and there, despite our modest team of seven, felt surprisingly light as everyone was eager to contribute to our progress.

Time slipped by unnoticed until my stomach growled, reminding me it was well past lunchtime.

Beside me, Win chuckled softly. Perhaps he heard my stomach's complain. "I think it's time for lunch, Miss Charlotte."

"Just Char will do," I replied, playfully raising an eyebrow at him while I grinned.

"Given our hierarchy, that doesn't seem quite right," Win said with a grin.

"We're just seven people here, formalities aren't necessary," I insisted.

Engrossed in a casual conversation with Win, we delved into his tenure at the resort, his reasons for staying, and his memories growing up here.

"I practically grew up here. My mother used to cook for Boss' family," Win reminisced, sorting through boxes of colorful tablecloths.

"Really?" I asked, my curiosity was getting the better of me once again. So this means she knew the Witch very well. "How's Waraha family back then?"

"They're great! Miss Maye was great and kind as well as her husband. The siblings are, too, especially the Boss."

I let out a snort upon hearing what Win had just said, "That witch? I disagree,"

"I heard you and the boss does not get along that well," Win chuckled lightly, "But she's really kind. If you're gonna ask me who I like most between her sister and her, I would definitely pick her. She's not really the type of person to be that cold and clipped. You know, every person change for a reason,"

What could be the reason?

But before I can ask Win, he spoke once again.

"This place used to be a private resort before, a gift from the boss's father to her mother. It's been passed down to her after her parents died," Win explained fondly. "It was thriving when it first opened to the public."

"What happened?" I asked, intrigued by the resort's history and its subsequent decline.

"Lunch is ready!" Tina's voice interrupted our conversation as she went to peek from the open door of the storage room, "Come out now, we're going to eat lunch outside." then she went away.

"Time to eat," Win said, offering me a hand to help me up. I accepted his hand as he helped me up to my feet.

Then, a sound of someone clearing throat reverberated through the room. We turned to see Engfa standing in the doorway, her presence causing a slight tension in the room.