Goddess Girl- Chapter II

I clambered through the rest of the day trapped between what was really happening and my odd daydreams. My friends were all wondering what I was up to when I didn't want to stay after school for soccer- and Sarah was freaked that I didn't text her when I was supposed to after dinner. Life seemed so bland, for some reason.

My bedroom suddenly seemed unfamiliar- as I stubbed my toe on my desk after setting down my heavy backpack. What is wrong with me? 

"Gryffin- honey- it's time for dinner? Are you still upstairs?" My mom called from down in the kitchen. I had been laying in my bed for around two hours now- pondering things- which is something that I've never really done before. I called back to her and my voice must have "had that certain tone" because she yelled something unintelligable back at me.

Ugh. I clambered down the stairs and into the large kitchen. My family happens to be very normal, perfect tile, nice flowers in the entryway, mom does all of the cleaning, dad watches sports. Daily life suddenly crushed down on me, as if routine, one of the things that my family is best at, has become boring.

Mom gave me a large smile and set down a tray of baked rolls, but when she caught sight of my dishelved hair her eyes turned suspicious.

"Young man, have you been loosing sleep lately?" Her concerned voice somehow agitated my nerves even further.

"Yeah, mom. I have. I'm fine." My words were clipped and sharp. Her eyes drooped downward and she left the room without a word.

I suddenly felt a wave of guilt- why was I treating everyone like this? It was like I was in some sort of stupor, some sort of spell. I picked up a roll and picked off some of the crispy edges. After a while it was a torn mess- all over the recently cleaned counter. I quickly cleaned it up and realized that I have homework to do.

That night, after I had forced myself to do the dreadful homework I layed in bed, thinking about her. Fen. The little, odd, reproachful girl. She was so different compared to Sarah, who was everything anyone ever wanted to be- popular, in sports, has great clothes, lots of friends, everything. But she really wasn't special. 

She doesn't have a mess of tangled hair, that somehow looks alive. She doesn't have those large, envoloping eyes. She doesn't have mystery, or that light, lilting brogue. 

And to my sudden surprise I understood that Sarah wasn't even important. She had never been. This new, confusing girl was the one I wanted.

But... I have only just met her. How can you want someone this badly after only a few words and glances exchanged? I will make sure to be more wary of what I am feeling. I think I'm falling into this too fast. Anyway, this new girl, how great can she really be?

I fell asleep, much more comforted with myself than I had been earlier- but only on false pretenses. 

Before I completely slipped into darkness, the familiar words etched glowing patterns in my wandering mind,

"I don't need your pity- boy." 

-

I awoke at the loud ring of my alarm clock, my eardrums thumping from the sudden impact. I rose out of bed and eventually headed off to school, where I met much anger and distain.

"Oh my GOD, Gryffie, hunny, you didn't call me! Like you said you would!" Sarah whimpered from behind me. I stiffled the urge to roll my eyes, but instead I turned around with a sarcastic smile.

"Well, sorry, I was busy." Ha, busy, yeah right. I hope she believed it.

"Gryff," her voice hitched on the last sound of my name, I hate it when she calls me Gryff, "sweetie, I was soo waiting for you to call me! Sadie said that it was tottally not cool of you to do!" Her snitty voice stung my ears.