Goddess Girl- Chapter III

Anticipation surged through my veins as I made my way to my locker, still dumbfounded that I was meeting with Fen after school. Many questions plagued my mind- what will I say to her? Will it be awkward? What will Sarah say, if she finds out?

I tried not to think about the last one; Sarah is not going to find out.

A thought surfaced in my mind, that Fen had said that she had “things to do.” Hmm, I wonder what those things are.

Just as I rounded a corner, heading towards my next class, Sarah saw me and scuttled away from her group of obnoxious friends, making me cringe.

“Hey, hunnie, why do you even waste your time with a tutor? You know you’re so good at everything.” Her voice curled with a tone too sweet to really mean it, almost like a sick kind of sarcasm.

“Actually, I do need a tutor,” I smiled, thinking to myself about what I would really be doing, “In art. I think I might fail if I don’t get one, actually.” Not all lies, I guess.

“But it’s only the second day of school, how would you even know?” She tried hard not to let the whine be heard in her voice, but it got into her tone anyway. 

“Because I’ve never been good at it. I gotta get going.” And without another word I walked briskly down the hall.

I started to feel a guilt, slowly gnawing away, about Sarah. Even if she was bitchy, she was my girlfriend. I guess. These days my mind was preoccupied with other things…

Lunch wasn’t too bad, but I didn’t see Fen there. I wondered what she did, during those crucial social times, where every other girl in the school was talking to her best friend.

The last few classes dragged on for hours, it seemed, until the last bell finally rung and I ran to my locker, excited about what the afternoon had in store. I longed to know more about Fen, the little sweet mysterious girl.

*Meanwhile*

Fen was walking down the corridor, in from the outside. Her hair was tossed around her in a mess, as usual. She remembered her afterschool “date.” No, it is not a date, she thought to herself. I’m just helping him with his homework.

She was just walking down the hall, and Jake “accidentally” ran into her. She smiled, composed herself, and started to walk away before she heard him say,

“Wow, you’re as much of a freak as Gryffin said you were.” His laugh was bitter as it rang through her ears, tears welling up in her eyes.

*

I found my way through the emptying hallways easily, making my way to the courtyard in the center of the school. No one really uses it anymore, for some reason. Right now the trees were a beautiful mix of striking orange and light yellow, the ground covered in their fallen leaves. A light breeze flows through occasionally and the trees shake, whispering in the wind.

Fen is sitting on the carved bench, looking at something in her bag. I glance around me, no one else is in the hallways anymore.

About to enter the courtyard through a glass door, I see something that makes me stop. The look on Fen’s face, she looked so… sad. That wasn’t even a word to describe it, she looked, well, broken. She had no tears but yet, her pale skin had dulled somehow, her green eyes a bright shade of lime mixed with moss. And somehow, right then, she made her way into my heart.

I readied myself and opened the door, her head turned the other way as she cleared her throat.

“Aye, Gryffin, hello.” Her voice quivered, so softly that you could barely tell. But I could.