O N E

Grayson Lake

Crack.

Crack.

Crack.

"Holy crap, do you hear that Grayson?" I nod my head and look at my best friend's face while it warps into horror.

Crack.

"Make it stop!" Peyton whines. I snicker.

Crack.

"Just spit it out, here's a napkin." I offer Peyton a napkin from the store, both of us starting to laugh. She purses her lips and spits the candy out, her spit landing on my arm.

''Peyton! Ew!"I jog to the sink and start to scrub my arm under the hot water. Peyton laughs like a hyena and starts to cover her stomach.

"Grayson, I told you not to make me try Pop Rocks. And I can't help it that my spitting aim is horrible." I roll my eyes and wash my arm with soap.

"If you ever spit on me again, I am going to slap you," I threaten.

"You did pay for those with your own money, right? Or do I have to deduct from your paycheck, again." Julio walks in from the kitchen and scolds us. Julio is our boss, he makes all the ice cream.

"Um," Peyton looks at me for an answer.

"Deduct from my paycheck, again," I say. Julio rolls his eyes and walks back into the kitchen to make a new batch of Rocky Road ice cream. Peyton and I have been working at the Ice Cream Castle for a few months now. The pay is decent and it's only a few minutes from the house.

"Grayson! Tyler is here!" Peyton whisper yells. I look out the window to see Tyler walking with his girlfriend Tae towards the door.

I grab the towel off the rack and dry my arms and hands. I throw the towel to Peyton who barely catches it. I pull the hair band from my hair so the brown strands fall around my arms. I adjust my apron and calmly walk towards the register. Tyler opens the door and walks in, Tae behind him. The bell chimes above the door when it closes.

"Anything you want Babe, it's on me." Tyler winks at Tae making my stomach flip. I wish that could be me. I've been crushing on Tyler since I was a freshman and he was a sophomore. Now I am a junior and I've gotten nowhere with him. He nods at me and walks around.

"Grayson, I'm going to see if Julio needs any help." Peyton grins. I mouth 'thank you'. Peyton and I both know that Julio likes to make everything on his own, but she still leaves me alone with Tyler, and Tae.

"Hey, Grayson! I didn't know you worked here." Tae waves at me. She's really nice, but a little clueless.

"Yeah, I've been working here for a few months with Peyton." My eyes never leave Tyler. He bends down to look at the flavors in the glass case. I look at his butt.

Peyton has been rubbing off on me too much. I look away.

"Do you know if this place has Vanilla ice cream?" I try to keep my smile as I look at Tae

"I think we do have vanilla ice cream." I grit my teeth together. What ice cream shop doesn't sell Vanilla ice cream?

"Hey Grayson, I'll get two scoops of Oreo ice cream in a dish." He looks at me and I blush for some odd reason. I slide the glass screen over to scoop some into a dish for him.

"Here." I hand him the ice cream with a plastic spoon.

"I'll have a scoop of Banana Caramel ice cream, in a dish also."