88. Who Are You?

Sophia's POV.

The house felt eerily quiet as I paced back and forth, my mind racing with thoughts of Jess. Who was she, really? Why was she so intent on interfering in our lives? I couldn't shake the feeling of dread that had settled in my stomach since I saw her at Leah's game.

The kitchen clock ticked loudly in the silence, marking the passage of each agonising second. I sat down at my laptop, determined to find out more about her. I typed her name into the search bar, my fingers trembling slightly. But nothing useful came up. It was as if she didn't exist outside of the chaos she was causing in our lives. It didn't help that we didn't know her last name, didn't know if her name was truly Jess or Lucy, or perhaps even something else. I tried searching through social media, but still, nothing. It was frustrating, and the more I looked, the more my anxiety grew.

By the evening, I was exhausted from worrying and searching. I sent a quick text to Leah, hoping to hear her voice before bed.

Me
Miss you. How was your day?

Leah
Miss you too. Long day, but we're nearly ready for the game. You okay?

Me
Just anxious about everything. Trying to stay positive.

Leah
We'll figure it out. Try to get some rest. Love you.

Sophia
Love you too. Goodnight.

I put my phone down and curled up on the sofa, trying to find some comfort in Leah's words. I'd hoped to hear her voice, to gain some reassurance, anything; but no. The cushions felt cold and uninviting, a stark contrast to the warmth of Leah's embrace that I longed for. Sleep didn't come easily, and I spent most of the night tossing and turning, the ticking clock mocking my restlessness.

The next morning, I woke up groggy and still anxious. I had ended up trying to sleep all night on the sofa, quickly realising it was a pointless exercise. I decided to keep myself busy to avoid overthinking. I cleaned the house, meticulously scrubbing every surface as if I could wipe away my worries. I did some laundry, the repetitive motions offering a temporary distraction. Even tried to cook a new recipe I found online - a complicated dish with numerous steps meant to occupy my mind. But no matter what I did, the thoughts of Jess kept creeping back in. It didn't help that I was bored after about 4 minutes.

Around lunchtime, my phone buzzed. It was Amanda, Leah's mum. She had been distant since everything happened, and I couldn't blame her. Someone had hurt her golden girl, and that someone was me. Seeing her name on my phone gave me a glimmer of hope.

Amanda
Hey Sophia, want to grab lunch today? It would be nice to see you.

Me
Sure, I'd like that. Where should we meet?

Amanda
How about the café we like in town? 1 pm?

Me
Sounds good. See you then.

I arrived at the café a little early, my nerves on edge. The place was bustling with avid shoppers, their cheerful chatter a stark contrast to my inner turmoil. Amanda arrived right on time, and we exchanged awkward hugs before sitting down. Her eyes scanned me, as if trying to gauge how much of the old Sophia was still there.

"Hi, Amanda," I said, trying to sound cheerful despite the lump in my throat.

"Hi, Sophia. How have you been?" she asked, her tone cautious.

"I've been better," I admitted. "It's been a tough few months."

"I can imagine," she replied. "I wanted to talk to you because, despite everything, you're still important to Leah. And that means you're important to me, too."