Chapter Thirty One

Chapter Thirty One

Night had fallen. In a futile attempt to get some much-needed rest, I'd wandered off from the men. They were all so excited, preparing to fight Thranduil's Elves.

I was just about to close my eyes when I caught a flicker of movement. Something small darted around the corner of the corridor. Quickly, I jumped up and followed whatever it was. What I found surprised me.

"Bilbo?" I coughed, staring curiously at the Hobbit. "Bilbo, what are you doing?"

He had a rope in his hands, one foot up on the ledge of the overlook. He was going over the wall.

He froze, turning to face me slowly. "Oh, this is awkward."

"What the hell do you think you're doing?" I hissed. "Get back here!"

Bilbo shook his head. "I-I can't."

"Why not?" I asked, making sure to keep my voice down.

He was quiet for a moment. I saw him swallow before he said, "I have the Arkenstone."

I blinked. "You- what?"

"The Arkenstone. I got it when I was talking to Smaug." He told me.

"You have to give it to Thorin!" I whisper-yelled at Bilbo. "He'll skin you alive if he finds out!"

"He's sick, Ariel!" Bilbo raised his voice, then clamped a hand over his mouth. We both looked around, but no one had come. Bilbo dropped his voice back to a murmur. "He's sick, and this stone will only make it worse."

I bit my lip, feeling more worried than ever. Part of me knew Bilbo was right, but I also owed my allegiance to Thorin. Could I risk his wrath, again, in hopes of saving his future?

"What are you going to do?" I asked him.

"I'm going to Dale." Bilbo explained. "I'm going to give the Stone to Bard. I think that for it's return, Thorin will give them what he promised."

I hesitated before nodding. "I think you're right, yes."

It was silent for a moment, until Bilbo spoke-

"I guess I'll be going then."

"Not without me, you won't." I scoffed.

"No." Bilbo shook his head. "No, you're not coming."

"The Hell I'm not. C'mon now, Master Baggins. Over the wall." I urged.

After a moment of thought, he nodded and tossed his rope down to the ground. I made sure it was secure while he slid down, then knotted it before climbing down myself. I dropped to the ground silently beside him, brushing the hair from my face.

"We keep low," I said. "We keep out of sight and then we slip into Dale."

"Thranduil will have guards on each entrance." Bilbo reasoned.

"So we come up from the back. They're watching the Mountain, not the Lake."

"Are you sure?" Bilbo whispered.

I nodded. "Positive."

We ran across the lands at top speed, taking cover in the darkness of night. Dale was ever present, growing closer with each step. Fires roared inside the city, reflecting through the abandoned walls and throwing a warm light across the plains.

Sure enough, slipping into the city unnoticed was easy. We wove in an out of the ruined streets, me with me blade in hand and Bilbo with one hand in his pocket, always keeping tabs on the Arkenstone.