Chapter Thirty Four

Chapter Thirty Four

*Ariel's POV*

We broke through the barrier we had built with as much flair as fourteen Dwarves could muster. Bombur blew the war horn and we shattered the barricade with a giant golden bell. Needless to say, all eyes turned to the Dwarves of Erebor.

We charged into the battle ready to kill. With fresh rage, we joined Ironfoot in perfect formation. They parted for us, Uncle Dain at their head with a look of joy. I ran next to Thorin, my father's blade light in my hand.

"To the King!" I heard Dain yelling. "To the King!"

Thorin let out a battle cry and we met the Orcs head on. I began slashing and stabbing with train precision. Five, six, seven.. The number climbed with every beast I stabbed into.  

In all honesty, it seemed at though the Orcs had no idea what they were getting into. Once again, they had underestimated us. I smiled ruthlessly as I took the head off of a particularly nasty Orc.

I grunted, driving my blade hilt deep into one's stomach. When I turned around, I saw Uncle Dain smiling at me while he took out an opponent.

"Uncle Dain!" I laughed and threw myself into his arms.

"Hello, sweetheart!" He chortled. "How's my cousin been treating you?"

"It's been.. A little rough, lately." I said honestly.

"Dain!" A familiar voice called.

"Thorin!" He yelled back. "Hold on! I'm coming!"

I ducked under Dain's arm and stabbed into the gut of an approaching Orc. When I turned around, Dain and Thorin were embracing.

"There's too many of these bastards, Thorin." Dain was saying when I joined them. "I hope you've got a plan."

"Oh, I do." Thorin assured him. "We're going to take out their leader."

He glanced up at Ravenhill, where Azog was positioned. In one swift movement, Thorin mounted a wondering ram. Not eager to be left behind, I followed suit. Thorin's next words made my heart swell.

"I'm going to kill that piece of filth."

We fought our way through a cohort of Orcs before even reaching Ravenhill. Riding up a mountain on the back's of rams was actually a lot of fun. They navigated the rocky slopes with ease, always choosing the smoothest path. Dwalin rode behind me, with Thorin, Fili, and Kili up front.

When we finally reached the fortress, the only thing left was making it to the top. The stray Orcs were easy enough to take out, given our new transportation. Only one touched me, and all it managed to get it was a rather unimpressive gash on my bicep.

Something slammed into the side of my ram, knocking me to the ground. I sprung up just in time to see an Orc climbing over a fresh ram carcass. I yelled defiantly and swept his legs from beneath him before burying my blade in his chest. 

When I looked out, I could see where Azog had been standig mere minutes ago. Now, he was nowhere to be seen. Kili beheaded one last Orc, and then we were alone.

"Where is he?" Dwalin whispered.

"It looks empty." Fili said.

"I think Azog has fled." Kili nearly laughed.

I shook my head. "No. No, I don't think so."

Thorin turned to face us. "Ariel is right. Ariel, Fili, Kili. Scout out the towers. Keep low and out of sight." He warned.  "If you see something, report back. Do not engage. Do you understand?"