1 - 𝘊𝘢𝘮𝘱 𝘚𝘪𝘭𝘷𝘦𝘳 𝘊𝘳𝘦𝘦𝘬

Beneath the old oak tree, where the wind ran its tales through the rustling august leaves above, I found myself listening to the broken promises and lies I was told this summer. I stayed, hearing the echoes of the past that would now haunt my future.

Drops of cherry red fell from my cold hands staining the water of the creek below, and with it, flowed the once beating heart I cared so much for.

I ripped a few strands of my chestnut coloured hair out from my overnight curlers before fluffing my hair up and tying it back in a blue scrunchie. Making sure my shorter layers fell out loosely as I admired my work in the mirror. I stepped back taking a last minute look of my outfit, hitting my heel into the back of my messy unpacked suitcase laying across my wooden floor.

I jumped hearing the sound of my bedroom phone ring. I picked it up, throwing some last minute hair products and lip glosses into the suitcase.

"Hello?" I held the phone close to my ear eagerly waiting to hear a reply.

"Hurry! Why aren't you answering? Me and mom are already waiting downstairs, aren't you ready yet Jesus?" The sound of my brother's agitated voice scolded me for being an extra twenty five minutes late.

"Peter, Its only nine we don't have to be there until eleven!" I slung my backpack around my shoulder as I hung the phone up. I grabbed my duffle and made my way downstairs, taking one last look at my room before leaving it for the summer.

"Okay I'm ready! You told them that we have to pick up Beth right?" I reminded him.

"I did, but make sure you call her to be ready at the door as soon as we get pull in the driveway!-"

"Already done." I groan. "Just relax we won't be late." I pushed my brother outside and locked the door behind us as we walked over our lawn and into my fathers car.

"You always say that and we always are." He huffs and slams the car door.

"This summer will be great for you guys, even if you are a little late to orientation." My mom looks at us in the backseat while applying her cherry red lipstick in the car mirror.

"A little?" Peter side eyes me.

"You're sure the people are nice there?" I asked him beside me as he plugged in his headphones.

"Most of them are, the counselors are usually nice too. You'll probably wanna hang out with the guys all day." He teases me, making kissing noises before shutting up and  turning on his music.

"Yeah...guys."  I put my seatbelt on.

"Jo, don't be getting into trouble, this summer is a great time for you to learn some actual life skills. You just turned eighteen, the counselor boys are not where your attention should be." My fathers stern words about adulthood went on like a broken record.

"Trust me dad, they aren't." I adjusted my headphones around my ear and put my new Blondie cassette in my Walkman as we drove farther from the house I grew up in.

In the state of Washington, under a near constant cover of clouds and rain, there is a small town named Timberville.  The quaint streets, with nostalgic stores and cozy cafes, whisper stories of memories we made here. I looked up from my window taking in the evergreen canopy overhead and the scent of pine as we pulled into Beth's driveway. I pulled my headphones off hearing my dad honk the horn.

"Summer of '83 baby!" She yells running out of her front door letting it slam behind her. The trunk popped open as she threw her suitcase and multiple duffels inside.