31 - 𝘔𝘪𝘥𝘯𝘪𝘨𝘩𝘵

My eyes shot open, searching around in the darkness of our room for her as I took my blanket off. I reached my arm up pulling the string to turn the light on above, only she wasn't here.

"What the hell..." I whispered to myself, peaking in the main room trying to find her but again she was nowhere to be found. I looked to our nightstand, searching for a note she possibly could have left but it was empty, besides some of her lip balm and a scrunchie. I slid on my shoes and made my way outside.

My eyes traveled from cabin to cabin searching for a sight of her brown hair before I walked down to the lodge. Jo always wakes up in the middle of night wanting a midnight snack, maybe she's in the kitchens.

The large dark green door creaked as I opened it slowly trying not to wake any of the directors up. "Jo!" I tried whispering as loud as I could. "Jo?" I said again and again until I walked into the kitchens, which were as pitch black as midnight. Fuck where was she. I started feeling goosebumps along my arms as I made my way to the front room again.

I walked over to the two pay phones hanging on the walls silently in the dimness of the lodge. My hand reached down my pocket looking for a spare coin which I thankfully found. I put the coin down the slit and began dialing his number, hopefully he was up.

"It's literally two in the morning. Who is this." My brother's voice groaned in my ear as I held the heavy plastic phone to the side of my face.

"Its me shithead-"

"Oh for fucks sake Billie why did you wake me up." Finn said, whining on the other side.

"I just wanted to talk." I laughed.

"It's so early, why aren't you sleeping? Are you calling from the lodge?" He asked me.

"Yeah unless you know another phone up here." I told him, he knew the camp inside and out in the back of his mind, he's spent more years up here than I ever had.

"Talk about what? I'm so tired mom and dad kept me awake all night." He whined again.

"Is she going on one of her cleaning rampages again?" I thought about my mom getting in these cleaning moods every couple of weeks where she just non stop cleans our house like crazy.

"Yeah, she has been for the past two days." My brother laughed.

"Thank god I'm coming home when she's done."

"When are they picking you up again? I'll take the day off work." He asks.

"Saturday, like in a few days. I can't believe summer is almost over." I sighed, thinking about me and Jo spending a few weeks apart at least after our parents pick us up.

"I know right, every time I'm up there it goes by so fast." He says. "But really, why are you up?"

"I just couldn't sleep." I told him.

"So you walked to the lodge to call me?"I heard some static over the line as his voice cut out.

"Well no, I can't find Jo so I went looking for her." I turned around, my back leaning against a wooden beam.

"Is she still ignoring you?" Finn asks, he remembered the conversation we had a few weeks ago when I told him about Jo not talking to me, I hated that.

"No no, that was a couple weeks ago. We're good now." I fill him in.

"Good, like, coming home to meet the parents good?" I could hear him smiling through the phone.

"Shut upp!" I complained.

"No but really, you said you were gonna ask her if she wanted to stay with us for a week after summer the last time I talked to you."