14: A Curse

Shi Qingxuan

What have I done to deserve this.

To see before me the curse the Reverend of Empty Words put upon me. The curse that put me in a horrible sickness.

It was like yesterday that my parents were celebrating my birth -- that was until that fortune teller told them of what disaster I'll bring if I ever had a chance to shine above the rest.

I watched the fortune teller hover upon my aching form, telling my parents of a solution. What was supposed to be a permanent solution.

To give me away to another family, and disguise me as a perfect daughter.

My older brother, Shi Wudu, was stuck in disbelief -- yelling and shouting at my parents to stop. To leave me be and let us be such a happy family at once.

It broke my heart to see him so distraught. I reached out and grasped for his shoulder but my hand slipped right through. Lian stared at me, unable to speak any words, tears in his eyes.

I was no younger than 6 when I was taken, unbeknownst to anything. I cried for my brother, it was all I could remember.

I hung my head low, squeezing my nails into the palms of my hands. The scene began to change, this was a way to punish me. For what, I wasn't sure.

It seemed like years passed, three years. And the Reverend never found me, it was the only thing my parents were satisfied with.

At 9 years old, I escaped my other parents -- I didn't feel right as a girl, in a body and a life I was so uncomfortable with.

Little me ran to my parents doorsteps, collapsing in the mud.

I stared at the door, eyes fired with rage as I got up, pounding my fists on the door. "Why didn't you want me?! What did I do wrong?! You must tell me! You mu-!"

My father answered the door soon after, cursing me for daring to come back. I was so..scared.

My mother was silent, she didn't have the bravery to say a word about abandoning her own son.

My other parents took my arms and held them tightly -- I sobbed and sobbed, my voice breaking and deflating with hope. I reached for their hands, but they hadn't lifted a finger.

Don't they realized what a dumb mistake they made?

"Your behavior is disrespectful." My mother hissed, her arms across her chest.

I squeezed my eyes shut, tears falling down my cheeks. "Please, I'm begging you. Please don't let me go."

"You are not our child." My father said back, eyes cold and dead inside. "It's not our job."

I started to be taken away, dragged. My legs were sore, they couldnt move an inch. I grit my teeth and stared at him with wide eyes, his words spling my head open. "If people thought of such drastic accusations..it's going to cause such explanation we can't easily avoid."

"I won't cause any problems, I promise-!" I laughed and smiled brightly, hair sweeping down his shoulders. "I'll do everything I'm asked to, I won't say another word! I won't give you an attitude, I promise!"