15: The Things I've Seen

Fei Minikui

I close my eye for a moment, staring at the target from around 5 feet away from me. The dagger was clenched between my fingertips -- Amni stood beside me, I wasn't sure if she was displeased or proud.

As if I'd care, I've spent every single hour training my eye to focus. Afterall, it had been difficult ever since I lost my eye.

All I can see when I close my eye, was of Hua Cheng, grinning at me. Laughing. Of the sheer embarrassment of getting pummeled by a man with just one eye.

I flicked my wrist and hit the second red line, losing my concentration.

She huffed and shook her head. "As much as I'm disappointed, you did do well.."

"Well is not good enough." I spat back, glaring at her. "I'm ready to practice with you, there is no question!"

"You aren't," She took a few steps forward, running her hands over the cloth around my taken eye. "You've barely learned back your ability to track object accurately, and judge distance."

Before she can utter another word, I slammed her against the wall, shoving my arm firmly on her neck. I eye blazed in fury, I pursed my lips and bit spat to her. "Do not tell me what I can and can't do. Either stand on my side or move out of my way."

She paused and let out a heavy sigh, taking out her sword. She let it dangle between her fingers, narrowing her eyes at me. "Fine, I cant stop you from going to kill yourself, but I might as well even the odds."

I could tell that she was irritated with me, giving me a cold glare.

I scoffed and let her go. "You look like you want to kill me. Well, get in line, Amni!" I threw my hands up and chuckled wildly, taking a few playful steps back. "The Ghost King will offer the last same generous look to me before I slit his eye open."

Amni grinned slightly and flicked his sword to rest on her shoulders. "You're awfully arrogant for a man I've just met."

"It takes an arrogant man to beat one," I mused before digging my fingers against the kunai's in my hand, the smooth metal cold in my palm.

Amni rushed at me as full speed. Snap. She threw her sword at me. I blocked with the kunai metal, throwing her sword back. I panted and stumbled back a few steps. She lost her balance, her eyes glazed in anger -- furious with my action she pludged -- I threw a kunai, slicing her cheek as it clinked against the tree. Her pace merely got quicker.

I grinned and threw another -- she flattered and blocked them, her sword suffered heavy hits. Pause. Her breath faltered. It was my chance.

I jumped and dove in, throwing another. She gasped and blocked the metal before I threw myself against her. She pummeled to the ground, yelling out. I held her wrist, holding a kunai against her neck, eye blazed in a wild heat of greed. "Faltering? That's no good."

She heaved and grunted heavily, her eye twitched in annoyance -- she dug her nails into my arm, tugging and pulling on my arm but to no use. I was much too strong and she knew that well.

The village started to see our newfound training -- gathering in groups to observe such a sight.

Blood dripped down her chin, as she let out words, her voice soft,"You forget that I have legs as well." Before sending a harsh kick to my stomach.

I let out a hoarse breath and cluched my stomach, falling to my knees -- it was hard to breathe, much less to move without a sharp pain in my diaphragm.

She took the opportunity and stood up, raising her sword -- she placed it under my chin and lifted it up, grinning slightly. "Done already? I'm just getting started."

I winced and squinted before letting myself feel defeat. "Fine."

Amni chuckled and observed her sword, putting it away from my sight. "Wow, you are useful for once, my sword feels sharper than before."

If she had beaten me, what does that say about my chance with the Ghost King? A complete failure.

💮ꕥ💮ꕥ💮ꕥ💮ꕥ💮

Xie Lian

We reached the setting sun, I raised a hand up, blocking the wind and leaves from hitting my eyes. I would say I was glad to be out, but it was not the case. We saw a lot of things in that place, it will be nothing close to a fond memory.

Windmaster blinked a few times, his eyes full of remorse, but continued to give us a warm smile. "Oh joy, we're back.."

I turned to him and rested a hand against his shoulder. "You look tired, please, let me offer you a stay in my temple. For a bit."

Windmaster held his fan tightly against his fingers, giving me a soft nod. "Please."

Lang held Shi Qingxuan's waist, a heavy breath in his throat. "It's appreciated."

I smiled gently, in which he returned the gesture. Windmaster's smile faltered when moments went by, staring behind my head. "Xianle, stand behind me."

I paused and felt my body get timid, before glancing over my shoulder. A flock of silver butterflies flapped their wings towards us -- Lang gasped and let his sword out, being careful with our distance. They were a few feet away from me now.

I watched the butterflies land on my shoulder, another on my head -- I smiled softly and lifted a finger. A small butterfly landed on it before dissipating into a cloud of white.

I felt an arm wrap around my waist -- another outstretched against my arm that was held out. San Lang wrapped his fingers around my hand, firmly grasping them. He buried his head in my shoulder, giving me a small grin. "Where did you run off to now?"

"What the-?!" Lang spat before Windmaster threw his hand up, his fan open and ready for a powerful gust of wind.

His form switched back to her female self, her eyes glaring at Cheng with unease. "I don't know what's worse, all the children you killed, or the fact that you smile through all their deaths."

Cheng slid his fingers across my arm before letting go -- he gave an amused smile. "Oh? I'm so scared."

My eyes widened slightly, moving in-between them. "He's harmless! Must we always resort to violence? Please, Windmaster-!"

"He's the Ghost King, Xianle! Let me take care of this!-" She spat before conjuring a tornado towards Cheng.

He laughed lowly, pulling out E-Ming for all parties to see. He held a hand out and waved the wind off, snapping trees apart. Windmaster huffed in frustration, guiding it back to Cheng's distance. The wind was engulfed in sharp branches and twigs.

With the wind losing control, the tornado curved towards me.