Chapter 19: Killian

The dark room did nothing to help me fall asleep.

Celine's strands of hair covered my bare body, adding a sense of warmth and comfort as I lay there in the silence. The faint scent of her vanilla perfume lingered in the air, making me feel at ease despite my restlessness. Her head lay gently on my chest, her soft breaths creating a soothing rhythm.

The thoughts kept racing through my mind, preventing any chance of rest. The absurd silence only amplified the sound of my thoughts, so instead, I tried to focus on listening to Celine's steady breathing and the tranquil feeling of her presence besides me.

Even when she was holding onto me with her hand, and while one of my hands stayed motionless on her waist, my brain refused to join her in the slumber.

The darkness seemed to swallow me whole, intensifying my anxiety. I closed my eyes and took deep breaths, trying to find peace in the stillness of the night.

Since that call from the attorny, my already messed up sleeping pattern has become even more erratic.

It wasn't fear. I wasn't someone who refused to admit fear, but it was something else. It was the overwhelming uncertainty of what the future held that kept me awake. The thought of similar things happening again.

The thought of that helplessness. That I can't do anything to prevent it.

The thought that instead of me waking up in that dark cell for two weeks in a row, it would be one of my sons. The mere thought of that happening was suffocating. It irrationally crosses my mind and leaves me paralysed and breathless. The image of that wrenching numbness ravaging one of my family members clung to me like a heavy weight, making it impossible to unwind and find peace at any time.

I forced my eyes shut, attempting to let the thoughts slide away and only focus on the feel of Celine's presence in my embrace. Her embrace and persistent breathing were a much needed healing reminder that she was safe with me. I held onto that feeling, hoping it would eventually sweep me into a peaceful sleep, free from the haunting memories of the past.

I turned my head to the side, making sure to keep my body still so as not to wake her up. Her delicate hands on my chest were all that I needed in the moment. Gradually, the fatigue overtook the apprehension.

I had a lot to do tomorrow. I have two meetings to attend. One with the managers of car dealerships, and the other with the head of the weaponry manufacturing factory. I needed to get the paperwork done and hand it back to Yousuf so he could review it prior to his meetings.

My back rested against the hard wood of the chair. The small splinters were digging into my bare back. The insoles of my feet were cold against the freezing concrete, and I shuffled them every now and then to gain some warmth from the friction.

The only flicker of light came from underneath the metal door. The smell of dampness and mildew permeated the air, almost intoxicating me. Footsteps echoed behind the door, and the familiar voices grew louder each second.

The creak of the metal door sent a shiver down my spine, and I braced myself for what was to come. The door swung open, revealing the figures on the other side who advanced towards me, laughing and mocking me.

Cold fingers brushed into my hair, grabbing a fistful. Two pairs of rough hands clawed at my skin, scratching. Immobolising my movements when I was attempting to break free. My mouth was prepared to cry, yet not a single sound came out.

This time, I couldn't hear what they had to say. I couldn't make out their words. I couldn't hear their insults of degradation. I could register that they were speaking, but my ears couldn't make out the words.