Chapter 31: Alina

There was nothing, absolutely nothing, that I would not do right now to be done with high school. I'm certain somebody out here in the universe was out to get my soul and make me suffer through this never-ending torture of exams and assignments.

I threw my backpack on my shoulder and stepped out of my room. I paused for a second near Amar's bedroom door and slammed my hand against it twice. "Hurry up, Amar!" As usual, I did not get a response.

I made my way downstairs, finding almost everyone at the dinner table already.

"Good morning," I greeted them, making my way straight to Baba at the head of the table. He glanced up from his newspaper, smiling as he welcomed my quick hug. "Good morning, my darling."

"Good morning, A'mi," I said, offering a quick wave to A'mi Ilyas, who sat at the opposite end of the table, his expression as stern as ever. He forced a brief smile. "Morning."

"Where is Jadati?" I asked, dropping my bag to the floor and taking my usual seat at the table.

"She went to visit a friend," Baba replied, and he flicked through his newspaper.

Visit a friend? Or she was trying to find A'mi Ilyas a new wife since she'd been so furious last night.

"So early in the morning?" I asked, casting a glance towards the patio, where the blinds were pulled open, letting the morning light stream in.

Mama and Saif stood outside, speaking.

Or more like, arguing.

They both looked infuriated, and I could already guess why.

Mama was displeased about what Saif had been doing. The underground fighting ring he had been involved in was no secret, and Mama had made it clear she wanted him to stop.

I couldn't tell why Saif didn't quit or how Baba was letting him continue participating in it. I didn't have a good feeling about his involvement at all. Last time, when he'd won the fight, he looked awfully beaten up and exhausted. I can't even imagine how much worse it could get if he loses.

"Maybe she just wanted some fresh air," Baba added, not looking up from his newspaper. "Where is Amar?"

I shrugged and grabbed a piece of toast from the table. "Probably still sleeping," I replied, spreading some jam on the toast.

A'mi Ilyas stood up from the table, a glass of water in hand, and headed toward the stairs without a word or a trace of emotion on his face.

A moment later, Saif rushed in, passing by me without a word and stopping next to Baba's chair.

"I'll meet you at the office," Saif said, his voice taut with tension. He didn't wait for Baba's response, and Baba didn't offer one. Saif quickly turned on his heel and left, the front door slamming shut behind him.

Mama stepped inside, hugging her worn-out shawl closer to her body, looking exhausted, but surprisingly not angry anymore.

As soon as she was close enough, she bent down and kissed the side of my head.

I smiled. "Good morning, Mama."

"Good morning." Before she could even take her seat at Baba's side, she asked. "Where is Amar?"

This time, it was Baba who shrugged as he folded the newspaper and set it beside his dishes. "Probably sleeping."

Mama let out a sharp breath as she eased into her seat, her posture gradually relaxing, though the remnants of her anger still flickered beneath the surface.