𝟒𝟗

𝐋𝐈𝐕𝐄 𝐀𝐔𝐑𝐄𝐋𝐈𝐀

Aurelia hadn't slept.

No matter how much her eyes begged her to sleep, her heart wouldn't let her.

Clutched in her hands was the paper Stiles had forced into her hand and it hadn't left since the moment she'd felt it.

Roman had been sat by her door all night. He was unbelievably worried for her. She hadn't slept in three days and those three days weren't just any days. They were the worst days of her life.

When Ivy and Kara stepped out of Roman's room at around eight, Roman explained the situation in minor detail and advised them to head to school. Kara insisted that they stay and be there for her, but Roman assured them she would be okay. Plus Ivy needed to work her magic in the attendance office and explain that Aurelia was having a rough time with her brother being in hospital.

Looking down at her hands, Aurelia blew out the breath she was holding and began unfolding the paper.

Dear Aurelia,

Looking up, she battled the tears that threatened to fall. Unknowing whether she could stomach the contents of the letter before her. He was her one love. She had never felt this for anyone before and she was sure she never would again. He was her person.

Dear Aurelia,
You deserve this is person, but I can't bring myself to do it. As of tomorrow, I am being admitted into Eichen House. It's the only way I know you can be safe. When this thing takes over me, I have no recollection of where I've been or what I've done. At least if I'm in there, I know I can't hurt our friends. I can't hurt you.
From the day we met I knew you were going to leave a lasting imprint on my life. I knew that no matter how much I tried to worm my way out of your grasp, not that I ever even wanted to, you would never let me go. And I needed that. I needed someone to show me how much I was wanted.
How much I was loved.
And you did that.You did that every damn day. And I will love you forever, for that.
And it's because I love you that I have to do this.
I have to leave you.
Please don't wait for me, we both know there may be no cure. And if that's the case, I don't want you to sit around waiting for me. Your love is the best thing anyone can experience and it cannot be wasted on someone who may no longer exist. Eventually, this thing will take over me entirely. The black outs will last longer and longer, until I never come back. It's for the best that I am in here.
And know that I am happiest this way, as I know I will never be the cause of your hurt.
Live Aurelia.
I love you.

Lia didn't understand how she still held the ability to cry. After crying all night, the tears eventually stopped. Often she found herself staring at her wall, her face showing no emotion but her heart continually breaking and yearning for him. He'd barely been in there a day and she couldn't sleep, she couldn't imagine how he'd be feeling.

A quiet knock on the door pulled her attention, from the note in her hands, up to Roman. A sad smile on his face as he moved towards her. She looked like hell. Mascara running down her face, her hair knotted and frizzy, her shoulders slumped and drained.

Gently, he pulled the hair tie from her hair and ran his fingers through until it laid flat. "Come on, Sparky. Let's get you a shower."

Standing from her bed, he walked into her bathroom and turned on the shower. Letting it heat up, he returned to her room where Lia hadn't moved from. "Want me to carry you?" Roman asked softly.

Lia's eyes flicked up to his, without any words, he knew. He could feel her pain.
Gently lifting her from her bed, he walked to the bathroom and placed her on her feet.