A secret message

I sighed as I stood next to Robin at the counter. Today was just as busy as yesterday, if not more. I covered my mouth with my hand as I yawned for what felt like the hundredth time that morning. I couldn't wait for my days off.

Robin was serving two people, she tiredly held their cones up to them. "Have a nice day." She said with exhaustion in her voice.

"Thank you." The woman said, taking her ice cream and walking off.

The moment they left, a young boy with a yellow hat and brown curly hair stepped up to the counter. He had an infectious happy attitude about him.

"Hi." He said excitedly

"Hi." Robin replied, he stared at her expectantly.

"I'm dustin." He introduced himself

"I'm Robin." Robin replied

Dustin turned to me with an expectant look on his face. I furrowed my brows, unsure what it was that he wanted from me. "Um...Dani?" I chose to introduce myself.

"Pleasure to meet you. Uh, is-is he here?"

"Is who here?" Robin asked in confusion

The door to the backroom burst open, revealing Steve. "Henderson." Steve raised his hands with a joyful look on his face. Dustin began to laugh when he saw Steve.

Steve leaped into the air and came around the counter. "Henderson! He's back! He's back!"

"I'm back!" Dustin said with the same level of enthusiasm. "You got the job!"

"I got the job!" Steve replied, he then imitated playing a trumpet.

I couldn't fight off the small smile that twitched at my lips as I watched the two of them. Steve and Dustin then shared some sort of secret hand shake. Dustin pretended to impale Steve with a sword? Or a bat?

"How many children are you friends with?" Robin asked in confusion

Steve sighed and gestured to Robin. I smiled at the strange interaction and then yawned again. I sighed in annoyance, wishing I could curl up in my bed and never leave it again.

Steve kept his attention on Dustin. "Why don't you go find a seat and I'll bring you a boat of ice cream."

Dustin grinned at him. "Okay!" He turned and made his way towards one of the booths. Steve came back around the counter and began to make the kid a huge boat of ice cream.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

I grabbed a rag and a spray bottle from the back and began to clean the tables, many of them were sticky with melted ice cream and sauces. I sighed as I sprayed a table and whipped it down.

I came to a table that was near where Steve and Dustin were sitting. He had sat next to him as he ate his ice cream because he wanted to catch up. He'd apparently been at a Summer camp.

"So do you really just get to eat as much of this as you want?" Dustin asked

"Yeah. I mean, sure. It's not really a good idea for me, though. I gotta keep in shape for the ladies." Steve said

"Yeah, and how's that working out for you?" Robin asked him mockingly

"Ignore her" steve said quickly

"She seems cool." Dustin said

"She's not. So, where are the other knuckleheads?" Steve asked. Obviously referring to his other 'children'

"They ditched me yesterday." Dustin said

"No." Steve said sympathetically

"My first day back. Can you believe that shit." Dustin said