Chapter Two

Parker's arm slid around my shoulder and I accepted the invitation, pushing myself closer to his body. I searched for safety in the warmth that radiated off him, trying to escape the bitter cold atmosphere inside the tent.

The Boss walked into the centre of the room, now brandishing a long cane with a sharp pointed end. With every step he took the end clicked against the floor, causing sparks to flicker from it and cascade over the stone floor. I curled my toes and tucked my feet under my chair.

"Ladies and gentlemen!" The Boss started when he reached the centre of the room, his eyes flickered to me and Parker "boys and girls! Welcome to a performance you will never forget! I bring you demons and darkness, beasts and creatures from the forest forbidden to us all. This show will scare you all, old and young! It will make you wish you never came. But most of all this show will remain in your dreams till your deathbed..."

My fingers dug into Parker's thigh.

"And with that," The Boss scanned the crowd, "Let the show begin!"

The lights above went out and a cage on a wagon was wheeled to the centre of the tent, four large lanterns hanging from each corner. The wagon creaked and squeaked as two burly men in rags pushed it forwards. With a final groan the wagon came to a stop in the centre.

The cage was made of thick iron bars and despite the lanterns illuminating light most of the cage was shadowed and whatever lay inside was hidden from our view.

People around me, including Parker, leant forwards trying to get a closer look. A few children crawled under the feet of those sat on the front row and leant on their elbows, hoping to get a peek at the beast.

My heart was thumping in my chest so rapidly I was surprised it hadn't beaten its way out and fallen into my lap. Sweat beads formed on my brown and I wiped them away with the sleeve of my dress, the rough material rubbing harshly against my skin. My mind was racing and blank at the same time. I didn't know what to expect and feared the worst all at once.

"This is our first exhibit for you all to see," the Boss continued from somewhere in the shadows at the edge of the tent, "we don't know exactly what it is, only that we found it half drowning in a pond by the edge of the Forbidden Forest. Wandered too close to the edge and got stuck."

When nothing happened and the beast didn't reveal itself a member of The Circus stepped forwards. It was a woman dressed in rags and wore a torn and beaten corset over her shirt with black and purple patchy hair and a silver sparkle in her eye.

She pulled a leather whip from her side and didn't hesitate before flicking it into the cage, striking the beast which let out a loud yelp which turned into a growl before it leapt at the bars, it's paws trying to reach through and grab the woman.

The crowd gasped and screamed in horror and in fear for the young woman's life. But she just wound the whip back around her hand and walked away, her task complete.

The beast was large, it's body nearly filling the whole cage. It was a patchwork of bruises and cuts, and for a fleeting moment I felt sorrow for the best and how it was treated. Only a moment as it soon roared in its cage, shaking the thing violently. My breath was stuck in my throat as I looked from its twisted and long grey snout across its large body and down its thick legs to its wide paws and sharp claws. It was hideous and scary and everything a monster was.

"Isn't it fascinating?" I heard Parker whispered in my ear. I glanced over at him to see his eyes follow the creature's movements, his mouth open in surprise and intrigue.

"No!" I whisper-shouted back, "It's absolutely terrifying! What's wrong with you?" Parker looked shocked at my response and I expected better. He knew my fear of The Circus, what I had gone though when was younger. He even comforted me when I sneaked into his room at night, crying from the nightmares I still had every few weeks.