Chapter Four

Many questions came to mind in that moment and knowing I wouldn't have the time to ask them all I came out with the one intrigued me the most and answer I desired to know above all.

"How come you look thirty years younger than you did this morning?" I asked him.

His reply was simple, "magic."

I was frustrated.

"That wasn't an explanation."

"No, but it was an answer. Drink up." Damien pressed the other glass of wine into my hands and I touched the cold crystal to my lips before taking a small sip of the blood red wine. It was bitter sweet and burned my throat as it slid down. It tasted of sugary grapes and salt and I choked it down as my gag reflex began to kick in.

"Can you explain the magic?" I asked, thinking I had caught him out.

"No. Drink."

"That's not fair! You are cheating!" I shouted at him, my lips drew into a tight line as I stared at the relaxed smile on his face.

"No, you are just asking all the wrong questions and I am giving all the right answers." Damien replied a small snigger past his lips.

I took another, larger, swig of the wine before continuing with the questions, drinking after each answer.

"All the beasts come from the forest?"

"Yes."

"Do you go in the forest to get them?"

"Sometimes we do, sometimes we don't."

"How old are you?"

"Older than you."

"Why do you only come only every five years?"

"It takes a few years to acquire new beasts and tame them so they are presentable to an audience."

"Why do your eyes shimmer silver?"

"Magic."

"Does the magic have anything to do with the beast in the tent this morning? The black one with silver swirling on its skin?"

"No more time for questions," Damien said, his face grim, "the show is starting soon and we still have to finish getting you ready."

"But you said every question if I drink! I'll drink if you answer the question." I protested but Damien just took the crystal glass from my hand and placed it to the side, "there is no wine left to drink."

Looking at the glass I realised I had drank it all and its aftertaste was kicking in. A mixture of vomit and what I thought death would taste like, it clouded my brain for a moment and I felt hot tears spring to my eyes.

"If you don't answer the question I won't do the show." I said, my hands on my hips. My confidence was boosted from whatever evil and magic the wine held and I persisted in my quest for an answer.

Damien grunted and turned to me, his finger's grasping my chin, "If you can answer this question honestly I will answer your question and let you go without doing the show, no blood debt. But I warn you, I always know when people lie."

I nodded my head, a silent request for him to go on.

"Do I attract you? Do you like the way I look, the way I act around you, the way I touch you?"

"That was more than one question." I retorted.

"Ah, yes, but they all equate to one in the end: Does your virgin self feel lustful around me?"