𝐎𝐍𝐄 - 𝐀𝐓𝐇𝐄𝐍𝐀 𝐇𝐔𝐗𝐋𝐄𝐘

✧˚ ༘ ⋆。˚ 𝐓𝐇𝐎𝐒𝐄 𝐑𝐄𝐃 𝐋𝐈𝐏𝐒 ˚。⋆ ༘˚✧
· · ────── ·𖥸· ────── · ·
prologue

𝗧𝗛𝗜𝗦 𝗬𝗘𝗔𝗥'𝗦 most sought-after invitation must surely be that of the Bridgerton masquerade ball, to be held Monday next. Indeed, one cannot take two steps without being forced to listen to some society mama speculating on who will attend, and perhaps more importantly, who will wear what.

Neither of the aforementioned topics, however, are nearly as interesting as that of the two unmarried Bridgerton brothers, Benedict and Colin. (Before anyone points out that there is a third unmarried Bridgerton brother, let This Author assure you that she is fully aware of the existence of Gregory Bridgerton. He is, however, fourteen years of age, and therefore not pertinent to this particular column, which concerns, as This Author's columns often do, that most sacred of sports: husband-hunting.)

Although the Misters Bridgerton are just that – merely Misters – they are still considered two of the prime catches of the season. It is a well-known fact that both are possessed of respectable fortunes, and it does not require perfect sight to know that they also possess, as do all eight of the Bridgerton offspring, the Bridgerton good looks.

Will some fortunate young lady use the mystery of a masquerade night to snare one of the eligible bachelors?

This Author isn't even going to attempt to speculate.

In other news, the Huxley family will be welcoming their daughter, Miss Athena Huxley, into her first season. It is expected that she will make her debut at the Bridgerton masquerade ball, and society is already abuzz with whispers of her potential suitors. Miss Huxley, with her charming disposition and delightful manners, is sure to turn many heads and capture many hearts. This Author anticipates that she will be one of the most talked-about debutantes of the season, and will be watching her progress with keen interest.

Lady Whistledown's Society Papers,
31 May 1815

"𝐃𝐈𝐃 you see what she wrote about me?" Athena lamented as she entered the family room. Mama and Papa were seated, drinking tea and perusing their own papers. She waited with barely concealed impatience for them to lift their heads and acknowledge the anxious girl clutching the day's society papers.

Mama raised her hand, beckoning for Athena to place the paper in her palm. Athena hastened to comply, then settled herself onto the seat beside her. She picked up a teacup and poured herself a generous serving. A small splash of milk and two lumps of sugar followed.

After a moment of silence, her mother parted her lips, a sign that she was about to speak. "That is wonderful, Athena," she remarked with a smile, setting the paper down on the table. "I am confident you shall have a splendid season and find a most eligible bachelor."

Athena smiled and sipped her tea, relishing its burning heat as it flowed down her throat, warming her. "She even said I would be one of the most talked-about debutantes of the season," she remarked.

Her papa looked up from his paper, not at her words but at the entrance of her elder brother, Archibald. "I was not expecting you this season," he noted.

Archibald, attired in a fine blue suit, stepped further into the room. "Not was I, Father, but it has come to my attention that the time is ripe for me to seek a wife, my duchess.

Their mama nearly leaped from her seat in delight, embracing her eldest child. "I am overjoyed to hear that! It is most fortuitous that you are here now, as your sister is commencing her first season. Given her late start, it would be splendid for you to assist her."