𝐓𝐖𝐎 - 𝐌𝐀𝐒𝐐𝐔𝐄𝐑𝐀𝐃𝐄 𝐌𝐀𝐋𝐋

✧˚ ༘ ⋆。˚ 𝐓𝐇𝐎𝐒𝐄 𝐑𝐄𝐃 𝐋𝐈𝐏𝐒 ˚。⋆ ༘˚✧
· · ────── ·𖥸· ────── · ·
𝐢𝐢.

𝐈𝐓 was the night of the masquerade ball, and Athena had spent the entire day in preparation for the evening's festivities. She had first bathed in chamomile and mint leaves, then anointed herself with rosewater and a delicate lotion made with soy wax. This regimen left her skin smooth and imbued with the subtle fragrance of mint and chamomile, which she adored.

Athena found herself staring at her reflection as her maid arranged her hair. Her mother had requested a subtly curled updo that exuded elegance. Adorning this hairstyle was one of her mother's simple yet jeweled tiaras. Around her neck, she wore one of the family's finest necklaces, adorned with small diamonds and jewels that sparkled brilliantly whenever the light touched them.

Archibald had been gone the whole day. Earlier that morning, he had mentioned he was going out for a drink, but after eight hours, Athena began to doubt his word.

"I will just have a look around town and get a drink," he had said before disappearing into the hallway. Thus, she had spent the rest of the day alone, save for the company of the maids.

Lost in her thoughts, Athena almost forgot that one of her maids was busy perfecting her hairstyle. "There we go, miss, I am all done." The maid then turned to retrieve the necklace from the bed, fastening it around Athena's neck.

She smiled, "Thank you." Rising from her seat, Athena walked towards the large mirror in the corner of her bedroom. Upon their arrival three days earlier, Athena had quickly claimed the second largest bedroom, leaving the largest for her parents when they would arrive.

As she admired her reflection in the mirror, she heard several grunts coming from the hallway. "Archi?" she called out in curiosity, using her nickname for her elder brother.

Archibald stumbled in, looking a mess. His hair was ruffled, and his shirt was partly unbuttoned. "I am here," he muttered, collapsing onto her bed and running a hand through his hair.

"Where have you been? I have been waiting all day. We are supposed to leave soon, and you look like a—a mess." Athena's patience had worn thin. Her brother's lack of consideration for others, especially on the night of her first ball of the season, was infuriating.

He looked up at her with bleary eyes. "What do you mean? I was just out for a drink... or a few. I don't know," he mumbled, sitting up and resting his face in his palms. It was evident that he had consumed far more than a few drinks, likely downing an entire bottle of something.

Athena turned on her heel and marched towards her brother. "I will call the maids to prepare a fresh outfit for you. Then you will fix your hair and meet me downstairs in half an hour. Not one second later. We will both attend this masquerade ball whether you like it or not."

𝐍𝐎𝐓 one second later than thirty minutes, the siblings were greeted at the front door, one far more tired than the other.

"I am sorry, Athena, but this headache is killing me," Archibald lamented, holding a hand to his forehead. They were sitting in the carriage on their way to the Bridgerton house.

Athena was still angry over the state Archibald had been in when he had shown up earlier. "Well, it is not my fault that you decided to drink more than you can clearly handle on a day where you had a very big commitment later on." Her voice was trembling, and he sensed that begging to stay home or seeking forgiveness was futile.