1. Portrait

Radhe Radhe readers💙🦚✨,

Author
3 years ago

Light slowly spread through the darkness of the room as the door opened with light footsteps following it. The room was dim with only candles lighting a particular area that contained a huge frame with the portrait of a lady.

The footsteps halted as Meher stood in front of the portrait with her eyes burning with rage as her face was sprawled with fresh tear marks, marking her face. The raw pain in her eyes was unveiled as she stood in front of the only person who had ever loved her. Yet to her luck, she had no memories of it.

She glanced down at her suitcase once before she closed her eyes to take a long deep breath. This will be the last time. Her hold on her suitcase tightened before she abandoned it near the open gate as she stepped forward. Ironically this was the first and the last time Meher was even allowed to be so close to her mother.

"Kyu akela chhodh diya aapne mujhe isss bheed me?" Meher's voice shivered in a whisper as she gulped the forming lump in her throat. Why was everything so difficult for her?- She questioned herself internally, her eyes looking at her mother's photo with a deep sense of longing.

The tense darkness of the room thickened as the events of a few minutes ago flashed themselves in Meher's mind. Her gaze blurred with tears, threatening to leave her eyelids. The only family she was left with, had never even considered her as their family even once.

More was that the world never knew about Meher Singhania's existence. Her lower lip wobbled as the 18-year-old Meher, sniffled by the end of her sentence," Kyu chhodh ke chli gyi aap mujhe?" Her voice held a sense of accusation for the lady she had known as her mother.

"Zara sa bhi khayal nhi aaya na aapko mera?" Meher yelled, stomping her foot on the marble floor as she held the furniture in front of her for support nearing an emotional breakdown. Why can't she be loved?- Her heart wondered as it weighed heavier with unsaid emotions.

Meher took in a harsh breath as she placed a hand on her mouth in order to control her sobs. In her 18 years of life span she had cried a lot yet this time she knew that it would be last because after today, everything will be changed. Nothing will remain the same nor her nor the people around her.

"Aaj tak aapko kabhi dekh nhi payi aur jab dekh paayi uski koi yaadein nhi h mere paas" She said as a sad smile played itself upon her lips while she glanced upon her mother's smiling face. Her heart drowned as she strained it hard to remember even a single memory of her mother. Oh, how she wished! She could.

As a child, she had always prayed to the invisible God to return her mother to her yet he never heard her. She wished that at least she could remember at least a mere glimpse of her mother so that her heart could cherish that single moment for the remainder of her lifetime.

Her childhood wasn't the most pleasant, yet she always wondered what it would have been like if her mother had been here. Her nanny had told her that her mother loved her immensely until she was alive but how could she convince her heart to believe something she hadn't witnessed?

"But trust me, more than them I hate you the most.", Meher scoffed as she caressed a hand upon her mother's picture, with her view blurred with tears. Her words shivered yet the unwavering hate in her eyes did not. Till now Meher had hated everyone except the only person she had ever loved, her mother.

Meher's hand trembled as she withdrew it from her mother's portrait. She smiled to herself, this was the same portrait that was prepared by her 4th eldest brother. Even though he remembered her, her heart ached at the thought. The portrait was close to his heart yet she was restricted to be anywhere near it.