5

-Present Day-

It had been a while since Steven and I had last talked. We were now 15.

High school was a drag. Sure, my squad was chill and all, but even they couldn't make high school go by quicker or make it any better. Especially saying that Steven was in all of my classes.

He knows my name now, but he doesn't remember any of our history together. How could he forget years of friendship?

"Jessica, what's up?" Steven says. We have assigned seats in Math. I happen to sit by Steven.

"Um, nothing you would understand."

"Periods."

"STEVEN! No, not that!" I practically yell.

This only makes him laugh harder. "Mood swings, I get it."

I went along with it. He wouldn't understand if I told him our history was what was bothering me.

"So, I heard you and Yulema were... dating?" I say, giving him a smirk.

His face turned bright red. "What!? No, were just... friends, yeah, that's right."

"Stumbling over your words. It's obvious you two are dating." I say, laughing.

"Ugh. Whatever."

"Don't say shit if you don't want to get hit back." I say, shrugging.

After our conversation, the math teacher comes in. He is a small teacher who is depressed, and I'm pretty sure he's an alcoholic.

"Morning, class. Pull out your textbooks and work on pages 137-139." He says, slurring his words. Yup, definitely hung over. "You can pick your partners, if you'd like." The one thing I liked about this class. We get to have partner work all the time.

At that moment, everyone started crowding around either Steven or I's desk. All these thirsty kids, I tell you.

Instead of picking one of the kids in front of him, Steven turned to me. "Wanna work together, Jessica?" He said, grinning that stupid grin of his.

"Sure."

We ended up talking instead of working.

"So, when I was little, I really liked this one thing, and my mom later told me it was a bra." Steven admitted.

"What'd you do, stick it on your head?" I say, stifling my laughter.

"What do you think?"

My laughter filled the room. People turned and stared at us, making me uncomfortable.

"Well when I was younger, I used to film this kid skateboarding, but then he left me cause he thought he was too good for me." I say, without thinking.

Steven gives me a good, long, stare.

Before he could get another chance to speak, I ran out of the room. Why did I have to say that?

I didn't want to see Steven for the rest of the day. That would only make it more awkward.

The only sure fire way I would avoid him was to call in sick.

"Here goes nothing." I say, as I cause myself to throw up. To make my story more believable, I smear my makeup to make it seem like I had been sweating.

I made my way to the office. "Ms. Robin, I'm not feeling to well." She looks up at me, her eyes widening. "May I call my mom, please?"

She hands me the phone without question.

"Mamí, yo no me siento bien. (Mom, I'm not feeling good)"

"En camino, hija. (On my way daughter)"

With that, my mom hung up. She didn't care that I wasn't actually sick.

"Im sorry for making you pick me up, mamí."

"Esta bien, princesa. (It's fine princess)"

My mom was pretty chill. We were very close, and I could trust her with anything. I even told her about the Steven drama I had.

My mom dropped me off at the house so she could get back to work.

"Te amo, Jessica. (I love you, Jessica)"

"Te amo, mamí. (I love you, mom)"

I plopped down onto the couch once I was inside my home. Being the lazy ass I am, I grabbed my ice cream and turned on Netflix.

This definitely beats school.

About 3 episodes into That 70's Show, I received a text.

From: Steven

Where are you?
---
To: Steven

Sick.
---
From: Steven

Why did you leave class like that, boo?
---
To: Steven

Had to throw up
---
From: Steven

Can we talk?
---
To: Steven

What is there to talk about?
---
From: Steven

You know what. Be at ur house at lunch.

Great. Now he remembers.

What an ass.