Chapter 9 Part 2

AN: Just a quick note before the chapter begins, I just wanted to clear things up about Hiccup. He is the only one who has to worry about his past self being in his head because first off, he is very stubborn and wouldn't let anyone else in his head, and second, Hiccup is still pretty much the same person he was back then. Don't worry, the others won't have troubles till later ;)

POV: Merida

"Merida, dear, we've discussed this." 

I groan and cover my face with the bed covers. "Five more minutes." I mumble, squinting my eyes as mom opens the curtains.

"A princess must rise early." Wait...Princess? "You must be gettin' ready for your lessons today." I open my eyes to see my mom giving me a hard look, but the only thing I can focus on is the crown sitting atop her head. 

"When did ya get that thing?" I sleepily ask, gesturing to her crown. 

She sighs and begins to leave the room. "I expect to see you downstairs for breakfast before the sun gets too much higher; a real breakfast, mind you, not just an apple." 

I stare at the door long after she's closed it, trying to make sense of what I am. 'Pitch put you here, remember? You've been in the castle for about a week, everyone thinks you're the Princess of DunBroch?'  The events of the past few days run through my head, days filled with lots of yelling from my past Mom as I had to relearn all the rules and expectations required of me as a Princess. Yesterday I was caught ditching lessons and was sent to my room for the rest of the day...I must've fallen asleep at some point... but nevermind that. 'Mom wants you downstairs for breakfast, you better hurry or you'll be in more trouble.'  I tell myself.

I hop out of the huge bed, walk over to the wardrobe, and fling open the heavy wooden doors. "Are you kiddin' me?!?" I shout, looking in disgust at the row of tight dresses. I dig around until I find my dark green one that doesn't suffocate me, and put it on along with a pair of black boots. 

I try and tame my hair with my fingers as I walk out of my room and down the stairs, unconsciously finding my way into the dining hall. "Oh, good mornin' Merida."

"Mornin' Dad," I reply, sitting on the other side of three red-headed boys; my newly gained triplet brothers: Hamish, Hubert, and Harris. "I finally manage to ditch my sisters, and gain brothers. Just my luck."

"Sorry, did you say something?" 

I give my mom a reassuring smile. "No, just talkin' to myself." I look at the giant table in front of me, full of food. "What are we waitin' for? Didn't ya want me down here to eat?" The sooner this meal was over, the sooner I could try to find help.

"We have a guest from one the Macintosh clan, remember? She came yesterday afternoon."

"Merida was in her room all day for ditching her lessons and going for a ride instead." Mom tells Dad, and he exhales a soft 'Oh, right dear.'

"So, where is she then?" Moments after I asked, rushed footsteps came from down the hall and paused outside the door.

"I apologize for my lateness, your Majesties, I managed to get myself lost again." My back tensed at the familiar voice, it couldn't be-

"Merida, meet Lady Anstice Lyall, of the Macintosh Clan." I raise my head to see a chillingly familiar face, her signature smirk in place.

"It's a pleasure to me--"

"But you're dead, I killed you!" I yell unthinkingly, gaining worried looks from my family. 

"You must be mistaken," Avalon quietly reasons, "I'm very much alive, as you can see." I gaze into her gold eyes, and notice that one of them stays suspiciously still. ' A glass eye,'  I realize, 'Oh my goodness I shot her eye out! She's going to kill me.'  As if reading my thoughts Avalon smirks dangerously before sitting down beside me. 

"Merida, what's this about killing someone?" Dad cautiously asks, and I scramble to come up with an explanation. 

"I had a dream last night... someone was trying to kill me, they looked a lot like Ava...sorry Lady Lyall, and I managed to...defeat them before they could. I'm still rather tired and I guess her face just reminded me of the dream," I turn to Avalon, who is obviously suppressing a triumphant grin. "Please forgive my outburst." 

"No need to apologize, Princess, no harm done." Her one good eye briefly flashes with anger, and when I lean back, slightly terrified, her grin widens. 

"Though, if it is not too much to ask, what exactly are you doing here?" I give her a challenging look, and am rather surprised when Mom answers instead.

"Someone attacked the Macintosh clan. Her entire village was burned to the ground, and when she saw how easily the fighters were being struck down, she took the children to safety and rode over here as fast as she could."

"Out of all the warriors in the village, none of them were able to fight off the attackers, and only she  escaped?" I ask, surprised at how easily my parents bought the story.

"I went with a fighting party as soon as Lady Anstice informed us of the tragedy, her story rings true. The entire village is gone." I bite my lip nervously.

"And the people?" Dad sighs.

"The children are safe, they were found hiding in a deep pit, away from danger." He pauses, and Mom places a hand on his shoulder. "The adults...were less fortunate."

"Are they..." I stop, unwilling to accept the worst.

"Dead?" Dad asks, and I nod. "Only a few." I raise my head, a flicker of hope rising to the surface. "At first we thought they all were, they were lying so still on the ground, but upon closer examination we realized that the majority were still breathing, they were just unconscious." I let out a relieved sigh and give Dad a hopeful grin.

"Well, we can wait till they get up then, right? And then ask them what happened, who was attacking them--"

"You misunderstand," Mom cuts in. "No matter what we do, they are not wakin' up, and I fear they are having the most terrible nightmares." 

'Pitch.'  I think, clenching my fists in fury. 'He must be feeding off of their fear.'  "What about the children?"

"The children are too terrified to speak, and they did not see much from the pit they were in." Dad quietly answers, giving Avalon a concerned look. "Are you alright?"

She quickly wipes the tears from her face, giving a shaky smile. "Yes, King Fergus, I just wish there was more I could have done..." Both my parents' eyes soften, and even my brothers seem convinced by her act. Tears well up in her eyes again, and she looks down at her hands. "May I please be excused?"

"Of course, Lady Lyall. Please let us know if you need anything." She nods, and slowly stands up. I am the only one who sees her smug grin as she leaves the room. 

And as much as I hate to admit it, it terrifies me.

***************************************************************************************

AAAANNNNDDDD there's the second part of the chapter :D Sorry it's taken a while, I'd write and then I'd get sidetracked and then it started going in the entirely wrong direction so I had to start over...yeah... Anywho, thanks for reading! I hope that you will continue to have joy in your lives! Please let me know what you guys think! 

Also, if there are any characters you want to be included, or you think I've forgotten about, just comment below! I'll try to include more people :) 

Love ya!

-Tooth Fairy

"There's nothing as significant as a human face. Nor as eloquent. We can never really know another person, except by our first glance at him. Because, in that glance, we know everything. Even though we're not always wise enough to unravel the knowledge." 

-The Fountainhead  by Ayn Rand

(This book is very long but seriously is suuuuper good so if you want to read something, here ya go :))