How to WRITE ROMANCE

Don't we all want that Knight in shining armor, (or even a princess in a beautiful dress) to sweep us off our feet into an endless abyss of love.

But how do we create the perfect lover, the perfect ROMANCE, and the perfect way for them to fall in love?

Well, first, how is your main character? Let's just assume it's a female looking for a male lover, (although these rules apply to all types of couples). Let's also assume your main character is a tough girl, one who, despite popular belief is actually afraid of something.

Now, let the love begin!

Making the perfect lover

Most of the time, opposites attract. It's a true fact.

But to figure out what would attract your character, you need to figure out their personality, sort of like a puzzle. If they are a tough, dependable character, then they would most likely attract and be attracted to less dependable and weaker characters. Let's take my mother's and fathers relationship into sight. My mother is a very independent and hard headed woman. She doesn't need others help most of the time, and she doesn't like being ordered around.

My father is exactly the same, only a man.

He doesn't like being bossed around or challenged, and that was the end of the relationship.

My step-father is a lot different from my biological father. He is humorous, less hard headed, and he doesn't mind being told to do things every now and then.

Make sure your main characters weaknesses are countered by the love interests strengths.

Example:

MC - Loving, caring, happy, and a scaredy cat,

LI - Serious, brave, caring, and sad

Some traits must be similar and some must be different. Think about, if the Love Interest is sad, the Main Characters happiness will counter attack that. Same for the scaredy cat trait and the bravery.

Making them fall for each other

Its simple really. Your story should have a conflict, something that opposes the love interest's value's and the main characters values.

Let's say the main character has been emasculated by the female love interest. He'll hold a grudge against her and thus there is conflict. BUT something needs to happen to make them fall for each other. Hard.

Such as, the male saving the girl, or maybe being trapped together in a storm and the tough females weakness is actually thunderstorms. Something that makes them get closer to each other.

Making the ROMANCE real

It's not that hard to say "I love you" but it is a lot harder to show. Especially if you're like me, and feel awkward just holding your sisters hand.

So, #1: SHOW PHYSICAL ATTRACTION

You know the story: Boy meets girl. Boy falls in love with girl. Boy and girl have their happily ever after - the end!

Every part makes sense except for boy falls in love with girl. Why her? Why not another girl?

The answer is simple: Attraction.

But what makes the character attractive? It is in out instinct to pick a mate that will best care for us emotionally, and physically.

Status and wealth are one thing:

Internal - confidence, skill set, belief system

External - job, material possessions, visual markers.

HEALTH:

Health is straightforward. It includes the way you look, the way you move, the way you smell, or your basic intelligence. After all, most of us are attracted to those who smell good and bathe regularly, right? And most of us are definitely not attracted to those who smell bad and don't bathe regularly, right? Right.

EMOTION:

There are four types of emotional connections:

• Trust and comfort - something that has to be earned.

• Emotional intelligence - the ability to make others feel comfortable

• Uniqueness - That special "je ne sais quoi" that makes us "us"

• Uncertainty - The certain level of mystery we have when meeting someone. It's boring to have all your cards out from day one.

LOGIC IS #1:

Logic is what separates humans from other mammals-it is how we use our minds to develop and analyze methods of survival.

Logic also helps us ensure that the person we are talking to is practically aligned with us. For example, do we both want marriage? Do we both want kids? Do we both live in the same city? The argument is: With greater alignment, there is greater attraction.

That is, ATTRACTION, physical and emotional.

Now, thank you for reading this How to WRITE ROMANCE I had a lot of fun making it, and up next is How to WRITE HORROR one of my favorites..

Absolutely_Positive