prologue; writing letters

Lara sat at the table of the café, hot chocolate held in her cold hands. She cautiously took a sip, hoping the liquid wasn't to hot. She hummed in approval when the sweet liquid entered her mouth, not burning her tongue as it went down her throat.

Lara then picked up the literature she had been reading from the table, finding her spot before continuing. The romance of it made butterflies erupt in her stomach as the male protagonist admitted his feelings to the girl.

The girl was drawn out of her book when the chair across from her scraped against the floor. Lara glanced up to see Steve Rogers, one of her recently made friends. She had met him at the library, looking for new books. They had accidentally ran into each other, dropping the books each had in their hands.

"Steve," the girl breathed, before she memorized her page number and closed the book, setting it down. "To what do I owe the pleasure?"

The blonde male sat down, sending the girl a smile. Lara picked up her hot chocolate, and took a sip.

"It's been awhile since I've seen you, ma'am, thought I'd come to talk," Steve nodded. Lara smiled, then laughed.

"Steve, how many times do I have to say, my name's Lara. I know you don't usually talk to woman, but please, call me by my name," Lara said, and Steve nodded carefully.

"I'll be sure to remember that, Lara," Steve said.

And then the two started a conversation. Any passer by would have thought the two were romantically involved, with how much Steve made Lara laugh and smile. But, Steve's brunette friend knew differently as he spotted Steve in the café window.

Bucky waited for the traffic to slow down, and with his hands in his pockets, made his way across the street. The bell above the door chimed as Bucky entered, and both Steve's and the girl he was talking to's laughs echoed through the small café. The girl's laugh was cute, Bucky thought, as he made his way over.

The mug of hot chocolate had been forgotten as Lara looked up at the approaching man. Steve sent him a smile, so Lara deemed the man to be alright.

"Hello, stranger," Lara said, sending him a smile as she met his eyes. They were the most beautiful blue she had ever seen. "I'm Lara."

"I'm Bucky, Steve's best friend," the man answered, grabbing a chair and pulling it up to the table.

"Well, any friend of Steve's is a friend of mine," Lara said, and she shook the hand that had been outstretched to her.

Steve checked the watch on his wrist, before looking at Bucky with wide eyes. "Sorry, Buck, I'm late."

Steve then got up, and Bucky and him had a conversation with their eyes. The blonde male made his way to the washroom, obviously to do some sort of business.

"It was nice to meet you, Bucky," Lara said, taking her now cold hot chocolate and taking a sip.

"Listen, I'm getting shipped out tomorrow-"

"An Army man, I respect that," Lara interrupted, smiling.

Bucky laughed, giving the girl a breathtaking smile. "And I would really like it if you would send me letters. The only person I have is Steve, and I would like to say a pretty dame -girl- is sending me said letters."

Lara looked down at the mug that was still in her hands, blushing. The butterflies were back, but this time it was for the blue eyed man in front of her.

"I guess I could," Lara said, her voice shaking slightly. It happened when she was nervous. As the brunette looked up, she noticed the way Bucky's eyes lit up. "But, you have to tell me your actual name."