Chapter 7

Reanee relaxed and moved with full instinct. She grabbed his muzzle and lunged over him, jerking his head up with a snap. With the momentum of his lunge at her, his neck broke. She let go and rolled down his back landing on her feet. She swirled and watched the bear collapse. The other bear roared and she turned toward him. He looked right at him but slowly approached. She could see the rage in his eyes. This one was bigger and more experienced. She shielded her fear and just watched.

"Oh, my, there shifters!" someone shouted.

Startled, Reanee glanced at the fallen bear and gasped. A man was in place of the bear. Reanee stumbled away and covered her mouth in horror.

Reanee looked back at the bear and whispered, "I am so sorry. I was just trying to protect us all. So, so sorry."

Reanee felt the tears going down her cheeks and that she was shaking fro horror and grief. The bear stopped and then went to pick up the dead teenager. Once the bear had the teenager in his paws, he looked at Reanee. Silence, then he glanced at where Andrew now stood. The bear growled, then turned back to Reanee.

"He shoots me! You or one of your own will die. A life for a life," Reanee heard in her head.

The bear turned away as Andrew rose the gun.

"No one shoot or another life will be taken I am sure!" Reanee shouted even as she quietly asked the bear, "If a life for a life, then who will die for me killing him?"

Andrew lowered the gun, reluctantly. The bear froze.

"One has already died, so his death evens the life for a life. Each family protect our own, but most follow that simple rule. So we leave as acquaintances instead of enemies, but before I go. Careful, I am not the only shifter you know. All shifters have the human tendencies cies though. They can be mean, but they can also be protective of those they care for," she heard in her head once more.

The bear continued forward.

"Who died before him and did a bear kill the person?" Reanee silently asked.

The bear stopped at the door.

"Darn it woman... A human female was killed by a bear. The bear became insane with jealousy because the woman choose another over him. She died protecting the one she had chosen. You killed the one that killed her. The shifter will find out if he does not already know. Good-bye, Alpha!" She heard in her head again and then the bear disappeared.

Reanee realized she was still shaking from the horror, but also found herself wondering.

"Why did you allow him to leave!" someone shouted.

She turned to the crowd.

"No one here was or killed, except that... shifter. A life for a life. The bear would not attack another unless he was threatened, himself!" Reanee explained.

Andrew put his gun away, but he glanced at the doors, before joining her.

"Nothing really to do now. Do not go killing bears and humans and your be fine. Go ahead and continue your day!" Andrew shouted, so all could hear.

Everyone nodded after a few minutes. All started to move again. Her charges joined them and they headed outside. Andrew was stiff with anger. Their suitcases were put in the SUV and they got in. Reanee sat in the front passenger seat while her charges sat in the back. Andrew got in the front, but did not start the vehicle. He turned his body around and glared at the three teens.

"You should have listened!" he growled, his eyes were flashing brightly.

His hands were clenching and unclenching.

"Oh! I know it was risky, but no one got hurt. Well except that shifter," Reanee replied, shuddering.

"It does not matter if no one got hurt. You could have gotten her and you know it!" Andrew growled, but not as angrily.

Reanee sighed and nodded.

"Well, I guess that human female got avenged, and the wrong guy did not pay. I find I do not like killing though," Reanee commented, shuddering.

Andrew tensed up like a board and Reanee caught a shiver of pain before it disappeared. Andrew started the vehicle, stiff, guarded and expressionless once again. Reanee found herself curious about him, but knew if she pushed now, he might not ever open up to them. She withdrew and they drove quietly through the city as she watched the roads and signs.

"Have you lived in Lubbock, long?" Reanee finally asked.

Her charges were wary of Andrew, so they stayed quiet, but she sensed they were as curios of him as she was.

"Yea, This is my hometown," Andrew answered, his voice radiating with guarded strength and pride.

"Really, so you know the area pretty well?" Anabell asked.

"You could say that, but do not get any ideas," Andrew replied, firmly.

"Would not dream of it," Natalie muttered.

"Couldn't you stay around, in case we need help with anything?" Ned asked.