The Trap is Sprung

Lavender and Parvati stacked their empty plates on a tiny table in the corner; the house elves would pick them up later. Lee Jordan and Padma talked about the Wimbourne Wasps' Chasers, comparing the stats of their favorite players. Professor Trelawney kept her bespectacled eyes on the mirror in front of her. Lavender cast her a worried look; the Seer's hair looked even drier than usual. She and Lee had adamantly refused to leave their posts for the past two days—but at least Lee would have a kip every night. Sybill sucked down tea like she used to suck down cooking Sherry.

"Oh my gosh, you guys," Lavender chirped. "I forgot to mention it—there are two Muggles here!"

"No way!" Padma gushed.

"Yeah! Hermione Granger's parents."

"Do they radiate geekiness?" Parvati asked in awe. "Those two must be geniuses, to produce a know-it-all like Hermione."

Lavender hesitated. "Well, I don't know about that, but they do seem to be worried. I mean, who's not worried?"

Trelawney suddenly whipped around, her coke-bottle glasses shining in the firelight. Lavender and the twins jumped.

A bejeweled hand pointed to the mirror behind them. "Death Eaters!" Trelawney cried.

Several black clad wizards climbed and fumbled their way through a rocky crag.

"Look!" Parvati yelled as she pointed to the largest crystal ball in the room. A dozen Death Eaters stood at the westward fence on the perimeter.

The long mirror hanging lengthwise on the wall showed a horde of Death Eaters appearing through the mist and between the trees of the Forbidden Forest. Giants lumbered behind them, leaving toppled trees in their wake.

"Alert the Army!" Trelawney shouted at Padma. "You two—use your Patronuses to alert the Great Hall!" The Divination professor snatched a walkie-talkie from the nearest table.

"King! Black Queen! Black Rook! Alert! Alert! Death Eaters spotted!"

Padma spelled her Protean Charmed coin to read: Operation Chess Match begins.

A silver butterfly fluttered from the tip of Lavender's wand. Parvati's tiny bluebird sped past.

Lee Jordan fired up the dials and grabbed his microphone. "This just in, all you Potterwatch listeners…"

.

As one, Dumbledore's Army reacted. Every hand reached for their trousers' pockets—their coins were burning. Walkie-talkies crackled to life.

"Death Eaters spotted in the forest and two locations on the west side! Respond, respond!" Trelawney's panicked voice shouted through dozens of tiny speakers.

Lavender's tiny butterfly landed on Ron's shoulder. "Ron! Death Eaters are here! Get to the top of the Chess Board immediately!"

Parvati's bluebird shimmered in front of Albus Dumbledore's face. "Move Pieces immediately! Death Eaters near!"

.

Hermione's hand jumped to her pocket. Her brown eyes locked with her mother's as she pulled out the heated piece of metal.

Operation Chess Match begins.