~Chapter 22~

"Happy Birthday, Avi!!" Molly's squeals fill our condo as Eve follows, blowing a medium-sized party horn

"Jesus, it's six-thirty in the morning. Tone it down, guys, we have neighbors," I grumble, trying to rub the sleep from my eyes. I rushed out of my room, heading to the restroom to relieve myself, then trailed into the living room, still half-asleep.

To my surprise, I find a "Happy Birthday" banner, floating balloons, confections, a couple of gift bags, and a large cookie tower with birthday candles on top. Molly and Eve are standing there in matching pajamas emblazoned with my face—the picture is a cropped shot of my disgusted 

reaction to trying oysters for the first time, an ongoing meme in our group chat.

Safe to say oysters are on my trash list.

"You guys are too much," I say, half-amused, half-annoyed as I glance at the hilarious pajamas. 

"Did you really have to use that picture?"

Molly grins. "Of course! It's iconic!"

Eve blows the horn again. "Happy birthday, Avi! We wanted to make it special!"

I shake my head, trying not to smile. "You definitely succeeded. Thanks, guys. But seriously, it's way too early for this level of energy," I grumble while yawning.

Not a morning person and probably never will be, I always feel like the walking dead every time the sun rudely beams through my always-open bedroom window. It's a constant reminder to get up as the hot beams try to sneak under my heavy blankets. But the sun in fridge-mode is as hot 

as a furnace, which is why I favor rainy days over sunny ones.

Molly hands me a mug of coffee. "Here, this should help."

"If you think this is loud and over the top, wait till you see what we have in store for you today," Eve says, grinning.

My eyes widen. "Ah, Eve, what's that look about? Don't give me that look, and what do you mean, 'wait till later'?"

My concern is met with her cheeky grin. I sense she's up to something I'm definitely not going to be a fan of.

Ugh.

"We talked about this, guys. I said simple... S.I.M.P.L.E., chill and intimate. Nothing beyond that. For Christ's sake, it's already a hoot being born on Halloween, which Americans make way more over the top than it needs to be."

"Well, you grew up here, so that makes you over the top too, hence the over-the-top day you're about to have, babe," Eve says, grinning mischievously and blowing that loud, annoying horn before I can get a word in.

I huff, annoyed, glaring at her as I peep Molly in the corner of the room, hiding something behind the sofa.

"Molly, what's she up to?"