Chapter 2.

Athena
C h a p t e r    T w o

"Get her!” they shouted, “She’s a traitor!”

Ignoring their angry calls for me, I continued running. Tears blurred my vision but I angrily wiped them away. They were signs of weakness.

My heart was thumping so loud that I was sure everyone could hear it. The adrenaline was pumping through my veins, pushing my legs faster. I was running away from them. And they wanted to capture me anyhow.

My legs were beginning to ache. My breaths were becoming shorter. My lungs were beginning to burn.  But the growls and snarls were starting to fade in the background.

Pushing my legs faster, I was relieved as I could see the end of the pack territory. If only I could pass that, nobody would be able to touch me. I used my arms to block the branches which were in my way as I continued running through the forest, the thorns, twigs and rocks clawing at my bare feet.

Quickly, I jumped over the fallen log, using my hand to grip a branch above so that I could leap further ahead. I was getting closer and closer to my destination . . . to my safe haven. Just a few more metres and I would escape them.

Hope started to glow as I realised how close it was: how close it was until I crossed the pack land and became a Rogue. I let a small smile slip on my face as I took one last step which would officially make me a rogue.

Suddenly I heard the sound of a material ripping. A sharp sting in the bottom of my legs hit me as I tried to pull away. I felt a strong grip captivate my legs as the strong smell of molten metal filled the air. A searing pain caused tears to leak out of my eyes as I once again clenched my fist and angrily wiped them away. They were signs of weakness.

Turning my body slightly, I caught sight of three large wolves behind me: one of which had an iron grip on my leg. The one currently holding me snarled, digging his claws further into my legs, causing me to cry out in pain. The excruciating pain was getting worse and I was sure I wouldn’t be able to walk properly for a few weeks after this.

Sweat beads dripped from my forehead, as the blood flowed freely down my legs. This was so painful: so painful that I thought I might faint.

“Ahhhhhhhh!” I screamed in pain.

-

With a loud gasp, I jolted awake from my dream- or nightmare should I say. I clutched my racing heart as sweat beads rolled down my forehead. My eyes were wide and I was sure my face was as pale white as a blank paper.

I hadn’t had this nightmare in months and I had honestly thought that this time they were gone for good. But alas, I wasn’t fortunate enough to receive that fate. As if they haunting me weren’t enough, they now also haunted me in my sleep.

It seems like everyone where I went; my past followed me- even in my sleep. I wasn’t destined for peace. No, instead I was made for pain, misery and loneliness my entire life. And trust me that would be a very long life since I was had a very long life ahead of me, granted that I wasn’t caught.

 With a sigh, I made my way to my small bathroom across my bedroom. I didn’t mind that I lived in a very small apartment, in fact, I actually quite like it. It made me feel safer. And besides, I was the only person who lived here.

The bright rays of sunlight flooded into the living room as I pulled back the curtains and the sound of singing birds were all that could be heard. No cars, no boats and no chatter. If I strained my ears, the calming crash of the waves could also be heard. For some reason completely beyond me, I actually liked this place and actually wanted to live here. I don’t know if it was the quaintness of the town or the extremely kind people that made me want to stay here for a little longer.