18 | kiss of life

It's love at last sight, or so Kurt thinks.

Because when you see someone's head duck under the waves, once, twice, three times, and never reappear, your first thought isn't 'he's going to make it.' Your first thought is, 'I wish I could run faster I wish I could swim faster because someone I love is gasping, sputtering, dying for air, and how will I ever find them in this godforsaken ocean?'

The only hope Kurt is clinging to is that Roger is as good a swimmer as he remembers, good enough to beat back the current.

In the end, it isn't Kurt who finds him; it's one of the lifeguards who drags him back to shore, panting and shouting as she drops his body into the sand.

Kurt isn't back in time to witness the miracle – the chest pumps, the frantic calling of 911, the gentle breaths of air from the lifeguard's mouth to his, gradually filling his lungs with air instead of water. He reaches the beach just in time to see Roger coughing himself back to life, being helped onto a stretcher by a medic.

As they take him away, Roger catches his eye, and he smiles weakly, a smile Kurt doesn't reciprocate.

Because how can he ever deserve Roger, even start to deserve Roger, when he wasn't strong enough to save him?