Chapter 9: Journey of Steel and Ice

Elara's POV

I lie in my tent, wrapped in several layers of blankets, my mind restless. My fingers lightly trace my lips, recalling the nearness of Sir Tristian's kiss—the warmth of his presence, the intensity in his eyes, and the way his hand rested at my waist. What was I thinking?

I draw deep breaths, striving to calm the frantic beat of my heart. I must keep my focus on saving the kingdom. Slowly, I rise and peek through the tent's opening. The early morning sun casts a soft light over the small clearing, where soldiers still slumber. Some are nestled in their tents, while others huddle together by the dwindling campfire for warmth. My gaze drifts toward Sir Tristian's tent.

I shake my head, trying to dispel the memories of last night. Reaching for the book of prophecy, I carefully open it and turn the weathered pages. My eyes skim the ancient script, the history of Dracoria and its dragons inscribed in each line. As I turn the pages, a detailed illustration of an ancient relic captures my attention.

Realization strikes me like a blow—my mother's necklace bears a startling resemblance to the relic in the drawing. I pause, my breath catching, as I read part of the inscription in the middle of the page:

"The Dragon's Eye bears the power to forge a dark bond. The bearer may compel the dragon's transformation, bending its will to their own. Guard this relic with vigilance, for its loss would herald dire peril."

My heart sinks as the words settle in, a cold shiver running down my spine. Could it truly be the Dragon's Eye? Panic rises within me, but I force it down, struggling to steady my breath. A wave of nausea washes over me—after all, I lost the necklace during my first transformation. I swallow hard, my mouth dry as the gravity of my loss settles in. What if someone has discovered it?

My fingers tremble as I close the book, my mind racing for a solution. I must speak with Sir Tristian—yet not now, not here. If this knowledge were to spread, it would only sow discord and fear.

A voice interrupts my thoughts. "Princess Elara? It is Sir Adrian. I have news for you."

I take a deep breath and push the covers aside. Stepping out of the tent, I see Sir Adrian holding a bowl of dried meats and hard cheeses. He offers it to me with a small, reassuring smile.

I accept the bowl and follow him to the campfire, where we sit close to the warmth of the rekindled flames. Sir Adrian then hands me a note.

"Sir Tristian has left a message for you," he says.

I unfold the parchment and read:

Princess Elara, I have assigned some of our soldiers to monitor the movements of Malorian knights spotted nearby. I will be overseeing this task to ensure our army's safety. In the meantime, please train with Sir Adrian. It is crucial that we assess your skills and readiness for the challenges ahead. —Sir Tristian

My heart sinks slightly as I read the note.

"I understand," I respond, trying to hide my disappointment. "It is important to stay prepared for what is to come."

"I apologize, Princess Elara," Sir Adrian says softly, meeting my gaze. "I know you and Sir Tristian have grown closer in recent days. I am aware that I am not him for you."

My stomach churns with unease at his words. "I appreciate your understanding, Sir Adrian," I say, forcing a small smile. "We must do what is necessary."

He waits patiently beside me as I finish my meal. After I've eaten, he informs me that he has already packed plenty for lunch and gathered some swords for our training. Once I'm done with breakfast, Sir Adrian leads me away from the campgrounds, guiding us toward a secluded area where we can train undisturbed.