Chapter 3: Sunlight

Today was Saturday, a safe haven from school, but a waking nightmare at home. I woke up with a headache and looked around, confused. Where the hell was I?

I felt a hand draped across my stomach, warmth. I was in Noah's bed, still, shockingly enough. He must've sensed I was awake because he started tracing little circles over my arm with his thumb.

What was I doing here? You can't just go sleeping in people's beds, Emerson. Well, technically, you can. No shaming here, it just isn't for me.

I quickly sat up and got out of bed.
"Where do you think you're going?" I heard a voice say jokingly behind me.
"Shower!" I spat out.
"The bathroom is that way." Noah pointed.
"I knew that." I stuttered. I have to find a way out of here.

I headed into the bathroom and took off the rest of my clothes. A warm shower would be nice before I made my elaborate escape. Maybe I could just walk out the front door and he wouldn't notice? I got in and closed my eyes,  relaxing for a moment. Deep breaths. I thought about my little brother. He was at a friend's house for the weekend, safe, but I better call him soon. I worry about him too much, not enough, always.

As soon as I got out, a set of clothes were sitting on the counter. Did he come in here while I was showering? I didn't even realize, and now my face was red.

I pulled on the oversized shirt and the some sweat pants that were too comfy to be mine. Everything smelled so good, I could probably live happily in these clothes.

"Good morning, beautiful." Noah said. "Would you like some breakfast?"
"Uh, no thanks. I don't eat breakfast. I think I'm gonna head home so my dad doesn't get angry."
"Why so quick? Did I do something wrong?"
"Honestly, sleeping in the bed of someone I hardly know isn't what I had planned for my Friday night."
"Em-" I cut him off.
"Look, I understand you were just trying to help, but I have got to get home." I said, irritated at this point.
"No, you look. I'm trying to help you. I'm worried about you. You think everything is okay but obviously, it's not. You aren't okay, Emerson. Tell me why, seriously." He said with a stern voice.

I started to cry. I hate it when people snap at me. I wasn't crying because I was sad, I just wasn't in a position to be talked to by somebody else besides my father, not that I had a choice.
"Em. Please don't cry. Just come here." He pulled me in and held me against him. I laid my head on his chest, sinking into him. I could hear his heartbeat. It was steady, confident.

He rubbed his hand up and down my back. Sometimes my shirt would catch on his hand and his fingers would graze my skin. My back was sore but he calmed me.

I don't know what I'm supposed to do.

_____

Maybe it was the way he looked at me that made it so easy. I told Annie, maybe I could tell him.

I had to tell him.

"Okay. It all started when my mother got into that damned car accident-"

*1 hour later*

Tears rolled from my eyes. "And that's why I have the marks all over my body."

"Emerson, you are so stron-"
"No!" I shouted. Something snapped inside of me. Instead of feeling relieved, I felt as if he was pitying me. This made me angry.
"I'm not. I'm weak and fragile and sensitive and I just want to go home, now. I can ruin my life without your help, thank you!" I screamed. I looked up at his hurt eyes.
"Emerson." He leaned down and gently grabbed my face, only an inch away.
My whole body burned. I was pissed that I felt like putty in his hands. His lips were only a few inches away from mine.

Snap out of it Emerson!

"Let's get you home." He said. "I'll follow you."

"Why follow me? Whatever, okay." I said, defeated but relieved I would be back home right after my brother.

We pulled up to my house.

"Go get your stuff." Noah commanded.
"What?" I asked in confusion.
"Go pack your things."
"Why?"
"I'm getting you out of here."
"Noah, look. You can't save everyone. I appreciate the thought, but I'll be fine."
"Hurry while your dad is out."
"I'm fine, Noah."
"It's not safe for you, go pack your things."
"I don't think this is the best idea."
"NOW EMERSON! OR I'LL DO IT FOR YOU!" He screamed.

I stood there, shocked, my ears ringing. I felt like I was stuck in place as he darted around my house, throwing things into several bags. What on earth was happening?

"Noah, you can't just take my things and expect me to go with you. What will your parents say?"
"Don't worry about it."
"They've never even met me, you've barely met me."
"Don't worry about it."
"What about my brother?"
"Tell him to pack his things, too."
"Isn't this kidnapping?"

"Don't worry about it."

_____

"You can't take me with you!" I pleaded as he put all my clothes into a suitcase.
"Sweetheart, now that I'm here, you won't see another scratch on you." He retorted.
"Please, don't. My dad is going to be livid." I begged again.
"Listen up. My parents used to foster kids before I came along. I've heard stories about how many kids they've helped, even saved. They'd be happy to have you around. You don't even have to speak to me, just let us help you for now until you get on your feet. Now is that so bad?" He offered.
"You've got to trust me, right now. We don't have a lot of time." He pressed his lips against my forehead.
"Now come on."
"Ryan!" I shouted. He came out from his room. He had a black eye.
"Oh no, Ryan! What happened?"
"When you were gone last night, daddy hit me. I don't think he meant to. He said he missed mommy afterwards."
"Fuck." Is all I could manage to say.
"Get your stuff, bubby, we're going somewhere safe."

_____

We started to unpack our things. Noah said there was only one spare bedroom, so I could either stay in his room, or I could share with Ryan. I chose to stay with my brother for the time being.

"I just want you to know I'm questioning my life choices right now. We barely know each other."
"Red." Noah said.
"What?" I questioned.
"Red. That's my favorite color. Now you know a little bit more about me. Now you go." He said. I giggled.
"Black or blue. Black because of matches everything, and blue because of the ocean." I said.
"So I'm guessing a dolphin would be your favorite animal?" He pointed at the stuffed dolphin I had sitting on his couch. I laughed and snatched her up into my arms. "She has a name, thank you very much!"
"And what would that be?" He smirked at me.
"Penelope."
He laughed really hard.
"Excuse me? It was my mom's favorite!" I said, one hand on my hip.
"Oh, it's just so cute."
"Shut up! I was eight! My mother gave her to me." I smiled at the memory of her.
"I love it, Emerson." He leaned down towards me.
"Hey sissy?" My brother came into the room.
"Yes, Ryan?" I asked.
Noah looked over, amused at my piercing red face.
I quickly turned around.
"I'm hungry." Ryan held his belly as I sped off into the kitchen.
"Got it, bub!"
"I think I'll help you with that." Noah said in a cocky tone.

I cracked the eggs onto the skillet.
"Sexy egg-cracking." Noah winked.
"Oh shut it, what does that even mean?" I laughed.
"Kinky, I like that." He walked up behind me and playfully put his arms around me, cracking another egg into the pan. My breath hitched and my heart rate increased.
"When will your parents be home?" I stepped out of his grasp.
"Uh, they're out of town." He said sternly, and that was that.

After eating, Ryan fell asleep in his new room. Noah and I turned on The Little Mermaid and blabbed on about ourselves. Our middle names, favorite songs, biggest fears, everything. Now, I couldn't say I didn't know him.