14

"Why would you do something like that?" Freya demanded of the other nymphs, as she walked out of the building to continue her search.

"You didn't stick around for the cleaning last time." Cora replied. "We figured if she knew about this stuff, you wouldn't need to leave so quickly."

"Also, I was a little annoyed that you didn't call me immediately when you got news." Astrid added. "By the way, she's probably still on the roof."

Freya sighed as she found the ladder and climbed up, knowing there was very little chance of her explaining things away. "Aria?"

"I'm here." Her voice was soft. She was sitting on the roof, still staring out over the ocean in shock.

"Are you okay?" Freya asked as she moved closer.

"I'm fine." Aria replied, distantly.

"We should be getting home, now." Freya told her, not knowing what else to say.

Aria nodded and stood, following her down the ladder. The other nymphs had scattered by the time they got down. Freya led Aria to her car and drove them both home. Once inside the apartment, she closed the door behind them and turned to her friend. "You've hardly spoken. Are you sure you're okay?"

"I don't know what to say." Aria answered, her head swimming. "Mermaids are real."

Freya sighed. "Look, I don't know what you think you saw, but I'm pretty sure it was just a prank by m cousins."

"Do you think I'm stupid?" Aria looked at her, finally. "You think I don't know what I saw? That was no prank or illusion. Those were mermaids and sirens. One flew away from right beside me!"

"Alright." Freya realized she wasn't going to be able to salvage the situation, this time. "They were really mermaids and sirens. How do you feel about that?"

"I don't know." Aria put a hand to her aching head. "Mermaids exist. How do they exist? They're not supposed to exist." She started pacing, unable to stop her ramblings. "And Sirens should be a physical impossibility. I know that from science class. They can't exist, so how do they?"

Freya remained silent, giving her some time to process. She knew there was nothing she could say to make the realization easier. It was difficult when people realized the impossible was standing right in front of them.

Aria paused and looked at her. "Does that mean you are really a nymph?"

Freya nodded. "It does."

"And you're a thousand years old?" Aria stared at her as memories stirred.

"Nine hundred and seventy eight." Freya corrected.

"How?" Aria demanded. "How can you be a nymph?"

"It's a bit of a long story." Freya offered her a smile. "Perhaps, you should lie down, for a bit."

"I don't want to lie down." She sat on the couch. "This is all completely insane."

Freya sighed and sat beside her, tempted to reach out and comfort the girl, but knowing that might not help. "I don't really know what to say."

"Why didn't you tell me?" Aria looked at her. "You've been lying to me since we met!" She stood up and looked down at the nymph. "Was this whole thing just a game for you and your cousins? Was our friendship all for some sport?"

"Of course not." Freya met her gaze and managed to hold it. "I wanted to protect you. Mermaids are dangerous and I didn't want you to get involved with them."

"Then wouldn't it have been better to tell me the truth and warn me of the dangers?" Aria pointed out, getting a little angry. "Do you think I am incapable of handling such things?"