Chapter 14

She looked at Jeane. She looked at her pale skin and empty eyes. Then, she thought about all the things she had said about her. We never know who the real bad people are. 

She felt pangs of guilt and hatred. But there was one thing she knew : she wasn't going to end up like Jeane. She was going to make Miller pay for it. She was going to become his worst nightmare. She was going to end his existence. She'd do it without a second thought. She had done it before. 

The amount of blood she had lost was crazy, she didn't have much time. But she had to wait for the right moment. A little right moment in her completely wrong life. 

"It's over now. Can you believe it? " he said, laughing and turning his back against Dianna to get Jeane's body out of the chair and on the floor. 

She untied the rest of the knot, got up and with all her might, hit Miller on the head with it. The chair broke and Miller blacked out. 

"Damn right it is, you old turd. "

And the beast was out . She had tried so hard to contain it, all these years, everyday, every moment.

She tied his hands and legs behind his back. He looked old and lifeless, like he was expecting death. 

He looked at Dianna and smirked. "You always get away, don't you?" 

She took the knife and with the greatest precision,  slowly began to slit his thigh. He screamed, he cursed, he cried, while she smiled like a maniac. 

"That's for my parents and all others you've killed. "

He said nothing. 

She punched him across his face, over and over again. Then, she knocked him out with the trophy on the shelf. 

"That's for Jesse and Jeane. "

"And this," she said, picking up his gun and put it against his bleeding forehead.   " is for giving me this life. This life I didn't deserve. "

All she wanted to do was to pull the trigger. She wasn't herself now. She could hear drumbeats in the back of her head.  

                              Dumdumdumdumdumdumdum

                                          Pullitpullitpullitpullit

Finally, Miller spoke. 

"Don't you see it, Dianna? We're the same. We're sadists. We're maniacs. Go ahead. Shoot me. You know you want to do it. It'll set you free. "

 Set her free. She couldn't form sentences.  But when she finally did, she said "Maybe. But there is this one, tiny difference between us, that sets us apart. "

She leaned forward and kissed his cheek, the whispered in his ear.

"I'm not an idiot. " 

She put the gun down, reluctantly.  His smile faded away. 

The door crashed open. It was the cops, with Bernard leading them. He held his gun stretched out firmly. "Dianna, move away so I can see him. "

"Oh, you filthy bitch!" Miller yelled. She didn't kill him. Now, he'd go to jail. She ruined everything. "I will come back, you know. To make sure you go to hell. "

"I'll be waiting. " she said loudly. 

They took him away. He was gone. It was over. And then, she finally took a breath.

She looked out of her window and saw Jesse. They found him. He was crying,  which did not compliment his features. But she understood.  This was new to him. 

Bernard looked at her and knew it wasn't her who needed protection. He should have known. She was Aurora. The daughter of Dawn. 

"Why didn't you kill him?" He asked her. 

"Death's too easy for him. " she said without looking at him. 

"No." Said Bernard. "You didn't do it because you couldn't.  You couldn't kill him. "

She said nothing. She just wrapped her arms around his waist and shut her eyes. Her ear was on his chest so she could hear his heartbeat rising. 

She didn't know what to feel anymore. And after all that she'd been through, it was only justified.