I thought I could do it on my own

A/N: This is a heavier chapter, discussing mental health, if you feel as though you can't read it, please don't, and take care of yourself <3

(Reece's pov)

I turn over and turn my alarm off, sitting up in bed. I look next to me, my gorgeous wife still sleeping. I was on an early shift today, so we won't see each other until she comes home later. I get up and go into the bathroom, hop in the shower really quickly then walk out and over to my wardrobe, grabbing a pair of jeans and my hoodie. I go back to Marjorie's side of the bed, slowly leaning down and gently kissing her forehead, as both to wake her, "I love you gorgeous, I'll see you later." I whisper before standing back up and walking out, getting into my car and driving to my nursery.

*A few hours later*

I can't believe the amount of chaos that had gone on so far, and it's only halfway through the day. So many parents complaining, on top of emails galore, and not having my deputy here today, so no spare staff. The phone rings, bringing me out of it all.

"Hello the nursery." I answer expecting another parent's voice to complain.
"Big brother." Autumn says down the phone, and I immediately sit up straighter.
"Oh hey Aut. Why are you calling? Normally Marjorie does." I respond, smiling at the thought of my wife.
"That's why I'm calling Reece." Autumn responds, and now I'm panicking.
"What?!!? Where is she?!? Put her on the phone!!??" I say panicked, standing up and pacing around my desk.
"Reece, take a breath. That's the reason I'm calling." she says, not letting on any more information.
"What?!!? Autumn Fortune-Knight. You better tell me what you are talking about. Where is my wife?!?" I yell down the phone.
"Reece! I don't know!" she yells back, and I stop dead in my tracks.
"W-w-what?" I manage to stumble out.
"She never came into work, and she never called in sick. I'm worried." she says, lowering her voice now.
"I-I-I don't know. S-she was in bed t-this morning. S-she was meant to c-come in." I stutter out, my voice breaking as every possible bad thing goes through my mind.
"Reece breath. Go find her, now." she sternly says, to which I feel a tear roll down my cheek.
"I-I can't. W-we have no spare s-staff. I have to s-s-stay." I mumble out, more tears falling.
"For heavens sake. It's the one day we have no spare staff either. Reece there is only a couple more hours. I'll keep ringing her, you do the same, and then as soon as the clock hits the time, rush home. It's going to be okay Reece." she says down the phone, and I can tell she is trying not to show too much emotion.
"O-okay. Yeah. Thanks Aut. I'll find her." I say back, hanging up the phone and slumping back into my chair. These next few hours are going to be excruciating.

(Marjorie's pov)

I wake up to a text on my phone.
Reece - 'Morning gorgeous. I didn't want to wake you but had to go off to work. I didn't forget your kiss though. I'll see you later, have a good day. Love you xx'
It's so sweet of him. Not wanting to wake me but not forgetting my kiss. A smile plays across my face before dropping a few seconds later, when everything comes back.

I have been feeling like this for a few weeks. Tired. Not just tired, but exhausted. I feel like no amount of sleep can fix it. No matter what I do, or if I do nothing, I feel so exhausted, it hurts. I feel like no one notices either. Not that I want them to, but then again it would be nice to feel as though someone is there. Even though they won't notice, because all they see all day is smiles and happy and bubbly me. I don't ever let anyone see the real me, the me who is slowly fading away.

I sit up slowly in bed, ready to get ready for the day, when I feel a huge weight on my shoulders. I normally feel this, but now it feels heavier. I get up and go to Reece's drawers, grabbing one of his hoodies, and pulling it on. It smells of him and comforts me, when he can't, not that it's his fault, it's mine.

I climb back into bed, on Reece's side, and pull the covers back over. I place my phone on the nightstand and snuggle into the bed, just wanting to sleep.
But I can't. My phone keeps blowing up. It's Autumn. Crap. I forgot to call in sick. It's too late now. It will raise too many questions, I'm already an hour late for my shift, so she will question it too much. I just ignore it. She can worry all she wants, it's not as if she does when I'm there. Maybe someone will finally care.