𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐓𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲-𝐒𝐢𝐱

Rumor on the street is that her apples are delicious

•───⋅⋆⁺‧₊☽⛦☾₊‧⁺⋆⋅───•

𝕎𝔼𝔻ℕ𝔼𝕊𝔻𝔸𝕐 stood in the quad with the other students, glancing down at the book in his hand as Principal Weems' voice echoed through the air. "All students will report for their volunteer jobs at 10 a.m. sharp, followed by a community lunch at 1:00," she announced. The crowd stirred slightly, murmurs of excitement running through the students. Wednesday, however, slipped the book back into his backpack, turning his gaze toward Weems as she continued.

"As you know, this year's Outreach Day culminates in a very special event—the dedication of a new memorial statue in the town square, which will also include performances by Nevermore students." Excited whispers filled the quad, all except for Wednesday, who remained unmoved as the rest of the students exchanged glances.

"As representatives of our school, I trust you will all put your best face forward," Principal Weems added. Two faceless students exchanged blank glances before the staff began distributing envelopes, each one detailing their volunteer assignments.

As Wednesday looked over his envelope, he noticed Enid and Lilith approaching him. His gaze lingered on Lilith. She looked exhausted, shadows beneath her silver eyes, likely from sleepless nights. Lilith hadn't slept much—she'd been up late reading her tarot cards, trying to decipher the warnings the shadow creatures had been whispering to her. Despite her weariness, Lilith smiled at Wednesday as Enid excitedly grabbed his attention.

"Yes! We got Pilgrim World!" Enid squealed. "I do have natural people skills and a love of performing, so it's kinda the obvious choice." Lilith chuckled softly at her friend's enthusiasm before turning her attention to Wednesday, her teasing smile playing on her lips. "What did you get?"

Wednesday tore open his envelope and read its contents. "Uriah's Heap, whatever that is."

Enid grimaced, shaking her head. "It's this weird, creepy antique store. You'll love it, though. I'm crossing my claws Ajax and I will be outreaching together."

Lilith let out a small laugh, and with a teasing gleam in her eyes, she walked closer to Wednesday, placing a hand on his shoulder. Her touch lingered as she looked up at him, her voice playful yet full of meaning. "I'm disappointed you're not joining me for outreach," she said, her tone laced with flirtation. "You make everything... interesting." Her words hung in the air between them, light but charged with unspoken emotions.

Wednesday's dark eyes met hers, a flicker of something almost imperceptible crossing his expression before they both noticed Principal Weems approaching. Lilith moved to walk off with Enid, but Wednesday grabbed her arm, halting her in her tracks. She turned back to him, and his gaze softened, though only slightly. "You haven't been sleeping, have you?" he asked, his voice lower, his concern hidden beneath his usual bluntness.