title of your story

...and I Am Tired Of Being Judged For It.

By:   jawharo

Written on January 19th, 2013

I was raised in a nonreligious family, and taught to make my own decisions. I have studied many different religions, but none of them have appealed to me to the point of joining. I do not judge those who choose religion, I just don't want to be a part of one. I am tired of being judged harshly because of my lack of religious belief, rather than being judged off my personality, morals, or life choices.

I am engaged to a Christian, and am fully supportive of him, because he enjoys the feeling of faith and the Christian community. He still has not found a church in the community that he fully enjoys, so I often try out churches with him, so he does not have to go alone. This opens up lots of opportunities for people to criticize me, especially when they ask our religious background. What's worse is that when they discover that my fiance is planning on marrying a non-Christian, the talk of sin begins. Not only do I get attacked about not being a Christian, my fiance gets attacked about marrying someone that does not share his religious beliefs. As a result, our relationship has often suffered simply because of other people's reaction to our religious differences. Many times, my fiance has had to leave a congregation because of my lack of religious beliefs.

I am just tired of being attacked for my lack of religion, and tired of the attacks on my fiance because he loves me.

Absolutely not! To me it is outrageous to think that a person might be judged because of their religious convictions or affiliation. We are all born into the religion of our ancestors, much the same as we are born into the political bent of our families. Very few people know enough about their religion, let alone anyone else's, in order to be judged by another human being. I daresay the same is true of their political beliefs.

The only judgment I care to make on religion involves the matter of practice. Does one live their lives as a good and faithful follower of whatever religion one believes in or is it church on Sunday and 6 days of hooray for me and to hell with you? Whatever religion you are, learn more about it, follow it and live it! Are we so poor in spirit that we must judge anothers faith?

The question is moot. A judgment is a determination of understanding - or in a belief systems' case, a determination of classification. The moment a person chooses any particular belief system, their classification has been determined (by the person choosing). i.e. person B's "judgment of person A's choice" has been predetermined by person A.

Imagine holding up a picket-sign with your chosen belief system written out in bold letters on it. A random person walking by sees the sign and either smiles in agreement or scoffs in disgust.

Person B disagreeing with person A's choice is indeed acceptable for the sake of right to choose. However, it is the means of disagreement which should be reasonably questioned as being appropriate or inappropriate.