Meaning behind "I'm An Emerald"

Meaning behind "I’m An Emerald"

Inspirational/Figurative meaning:

This song tells people who are always left out by others to not be sad. That’s because they’re useful too. It’s just arrogant people who think they’re better than them and jealous people who aren’t as good as them that ignore all their problems and achievements so that they will feel useless and eventually give up. But, there are always people who care about them and appreciate whoever they are. They don’t want them to give up because they know they can do it. They want them to know they’re useful, worth and beautiful in their own way. With determination in chasing their dreams and ignorance of other’s negative perception, people who are always left out by others will success too. However, they should help others to realise the beauty and usefulness in themselves too because that always brings happiness.

In conclusion, you’re a useful person that will avail this world someday. Boys or girls; man or woman, it doesn’t matter – Everyone is beautiful. However, the beauty that really matters is the beauty from the inside. Don’t give up because everything is possible to be done. You can do it. You always can. And lastly, always be happy because being happy brings a lot of benefits. 

Literal meaning:

*Verse 1 and 2* I am always looked down and left out by others. That can’t be denied because I realised I am weak in many aspects. No one wants to help me when I have problems. But, I survived through all these and I felt the beauty and usefulness in myself, because that’s just me. I am useful and I am beautiful internally which brings out my external beauty.

*Bridge* I realised that there are people who face the same situation as me too. However, they can’t accept it and think they’re useless without being noticed by others. When isolated, they break down in tears and hate themselves. They can’t get themselves out of problems, for they can’t bring themselves to at least try. Nevertheless, I noticed their suffering and I understand them. I want to make some changes.

*Chorus* Emerald is said to heal distress and calm the mind of humans. In other words, they make people happy. I will do the same to people like me, which makes me like an emerald. Although I may not be as good as others and I seem to don’t know much compared to others, I, like a refined emerald, will reflect all the beauty and usefulness of people so that they can acknowledge it.

*Verse 3* I will help people to solve their problems and difficulties. I will help people to be noticed. Despite having those arrogant people to make us feel useless, there’s still hope for us to success and be noticed by others, so people like me should not just give up like that. Although I have been through the same situation, I didn’t lose my will and determination. That’s because I know I’m still a useful person, and they should know that they’re useful too.

*Verse 3* If I’m successful in changing their thoughts, will they do the same to others too? There are many people like us, who think they’re not worth; who think they can’t do it; who need our help. That’s why I am here – to make a change; to let everyone knows they’re useful and beautiful; to bring happiness to everyone, like an emerald.