Chapter 9

Mahir meets Daneen's parents!

Daneen

In between client meetings, formal lunch and dinners, we could just have brief 'Hi's and Hello's. Nothing much, despite the strong urge of talking to him, asking him about his day, listening to his witty quips and everything he has to say. I push away the urge, as I have many other things to look after. Me and Zahra have movie nights and sleepovers on weekends and I have to keep reminding myself not to ask about Mahir, giving her a chance to be suspicious. And that is becoming so painful, already. The night we had dinner at Beanstalk's, I could not stop thinking about him. Our first meeting, first official conversation, first party and first dinner, everything seemed so ordinary about him. He never let it out until now, the pain, the misery, the broken heart and the loneliness. He is just so perfect at hiding it all, in the cloak of his aura, strong demeanour and bossy attitude. I've heard from Zahra that every employee is scared of him like a little cat, every time. I imagined him like that, in his black suit, hair tamed in place and seriousness in his eyes, scolding his employees, scaring the shit out of them. That suits him though, unlike the funny nature.

Those brown eyes have seen the death of dreams, death of love and survival of forsakenness. I wish I could be there for him, with him everytime he had to face hard times.

And then I remember my life, the mess I was in, the past I can't let go of, the chaos that questions my being and my future.

I can understand him, even when he may think that there is no one who can understand his pain and misery. The feeling of helplessness is like a sharp blade, slicing the heart into countless shards that seem irretrievable. You just have to step on them and walk through, what people call 'moving -on,' easier said than done. The fact is, we can never move on, we carry the crushed pieces of our heart, hiding them from the world around us and making them the reason to live. There is nothing more painful living the life that could be snatched away, leaving behind... No, I have to stop.

Tonight, my parents are coming over for dinner. They've been so insisting, saying that there is something important to be discussed. I'm so tense since they informed me about it, I don't know what to cook for dinner.

There is a voice at the back of my head, constantly popping up about it, thinking I know very well what my parents want to talk about. A fact, but I choose to deny it.

It's already 8:30 while I am lost in my own thoughts, and it takes time to decide on a menu. I settled on Machboos, a delightful spiced rice dish with chicken or lamb, infused with a medley of aromatic spices, paired with a refreshing salad.

As for the dessert, I'll order something online.

I quickly went to the kitchen and took out the chicken from the freezer, gathering the required spices, and reaching for the rice.

In the midst of my culinary preparations, I'm startled by the creak of the front door opening. I stand frozen, vegetables in hand for the salad, as the door softly clicks shut. Dread envelops me as I imagine the worst scenarios, beads of sweat forming on my forehead.

"Daneen, my dear. Where are you?" A gentle voice, one that brings immense relief, reaches my ears.

It dawns on me that I've overlooked the fact that my parents have access to my home keys. How forgetful of me.

"I'm here in the kitchen, Ummi," I reply, stumbling with everything in my hands.

"You don't need to cook anything, love. I already made us dinner and brought it," my mom says, a hint of pity in her eyes as she surveys the chaotic scene in the kitchen.