Chapter 25: The Price of Defiance

Beckett

I didn't know how long I floated in the darkness, but when I opened my eyes, things didn't get much better. Above the thin cot they'd deposited me on after knocking me unconscious was a single, slim window that let in only a sliver of purple twilight.

A growl rumbled in my chest as I lurched to my feet. The Full Moon feast started well after the sunset, which could only mean that at least one day had passed since the other packs had betrayed me. I fucking prayed it was only one day because...

No. I shook my head, ignoring the pounding pain. Considering the alternative wasn't even an option. Losing Devany wasn't an option.

Of course, it didn't matter how much time had gone by as long as I was behind bars and unable to get to my mate, and the Alpha pricks who put me here had taken no chances. The bars were made of pure silver, and not even the strongest wolf could touch it without being rendered unconscious. Holding on long enough to bend them and break free was out of the question.

"Fuck!" I shouted, not caring if anyone could hear me.

Of all the things I'd imagined happening at the feast last night, this had not even crossed my mind. Pack gatherings were sacred and only the worst offenses were worthy of this kind of treatment. While rejecting a mate might be considered poor behavior, it was within my rights to do so.

As was voicing an opinion about Council Law, or at least, on paper, that was allowed. Everyone knew the Council didn't tolerate open defiance, no matter what they proclaimed long ago when they first formed after toppling the monarchy. The Lunaria family hadn't been perfect, but at least they didn't hide their flaws behind fake smiles and pretty speeches.

I sat back down and pinched the bridge of my nose to try to ease the growing ache in my head. There had to be a way out of this. Any unmated wolf had to be granted access to the mate run. That had been decreed by the goddess, and even the Council wasn't foolish enough to defy her.

Were they?

Footsteps approached, and I sat up straight, staring hard at the shadows. I scented her before I saw her. Her presence offered no comfort.

"Why are you here, Leann?"

She folded her arms over her chest, careful not to brush the silver bars. "That is no way to speak to your mother, Beckett."

Resisting the childish urge to tell her she wasn't my mother, I said instead, "And that's no way to speak to your Alpha."

"Really? You want to lecture me on appropriate behavior? What kind of game are you playing? Rejecting Pria? Throwing yourself at the General? Ever since that girl arrived, you've forgotten what it means to be Alpha."

Stalking toward her, I made sure she could see the wolf in my eyes as I snarled, "I didn't reject Pria because she was never supposed to be mine. Someone interfered. Someone with magic. You wouldn't know who that was, would you?"

Lean blinked and stumbled backward. She recovered quickly, but it was enough for me to suspect I'd come too close to a secret. Somehow, she was involved.

"You foolish boy–"

She swallowed hard when I gnashed my teeth at her. Gray hair sprouted through my skin and flaked off like snow as I subdued my wolf. Her tone was softer when she spoke again.

"I understand why you're upset about Pria being your mate. You bought into the fairytale that being mated is a wonderful thing. That the person is someone you will want and love for the rest of your life, but that's not always the case. Being mated doesn't always mean being in love. You might not love Pria, but that doesn't mean she isn't the one the goddess chose for you."

"You really expect me to believe that? A mate is literally supposed to be the other half of yourself. Maybe you don't love each other at first, but you sure as hell want each other. I have never felt that way for Pria, and she will never feel that way for me. But none of that really matters because I know that magic created the bond. When I get out of here, I'll prove it."

"Well, you may not care when you get out of here, because by then it'll be too late."

A long howl sounded outside, followed by dozens more, and when I turned to look through the window, I found the full moon glinting white in the black sky. The run was beginning.

"Let me out of here, Leann. I have a right to run. The Council might have reinstated the Law of Right, but there is a greater Law of Right they can't defy. The one that declares every unmated wolf has the right to run. You have to release me."

"You're right, but you're not unmated."

"Leann!" I shouted, claws sprouting from my fingertips as I imagined reaching through the bars and strangling my stepmother. "You witnessed the rejection, so don't make up fucking stories."

She wouldn't look me in the eye. "According to custom, you should wait at least one moon cycle before seeking a new mate. In order to ensure you have no regrets."

"Custom? But not a law. I waive the 30-day period. Let me out."

"I'm afraid I can't do that, Beckett. Council's orders. You are forbidden from participating in the mate run. I'm sorry," she whispered, before turning and leaving me alone in the darkness.