VIII

Dylan

The last thing I had expected Alex hill to say was that he liked me. We had been speaking about music and getting to know each other for a while now, but I was still reeling from that revelation. I don't think anyone had ever said those words to me before, and meant it, so it was a lot for me to take in. Growing up in a relatively small town, nobody was interested in the 'weird kid', especially not other guys.  

This meant that I was inexperienced and out of my depth right now. Presumably, we were on a date. Two people who like each other getting a coffee is a date, right? I think so. When I imagined dates, it didn't look much like this. Usually I imagined hand holding and kissing, or whatever, but I don't think that either of us had that intention. I suppose that's because it's a first date. Maybe.

Everything was so uncertain. 

I mean, before today I was so sure that the guy in the park was just a stranger who was most likely heterosexual with a family, judging by the child, but now everything had been flipped and my expectations subverted. 

"Did you come to my university just to see me?" I asked the question that was burning at the back of my mind.

"Not exactly, no." He had a goofy smile, "This was always in my calendar to attend, but I was only looking forward to it for the last week."

It took me a second to realise what he meant, but I suppose he was referring to meeting me a week ago. My head was still reeling from all of this and I couldn't wrap my head around how this guy could possibly like me from a singular interaction. When I did realise, however, I bopped my head happily.

Getting lost in my thoughts, I took a moment to react, but Alex just sat patiently, waiting. It was nice that we had a comfortable conversational pace going; I didn't feel rushed to react and it was helping me keep calm. Keeping calm and composed was certainly hard when he looked like that and acted as cool as you'd think a celebrity would.

"To be quite honest, I thought you were a dad." I admitted.

He broke up into a laugh at that, looking at me incredulously. 

"Do you mean Amelia?" He shook his head, "She's my niece."

"I know. Kai told me earlier." I hummed, "Although we did discuss that some celebrities have secret children, so it's nice to know that that isn't the case." 

Alex tilted his head, his smile somehow getting even wider. Kai had said that this guy played serial killers and psychopaths in horror films, but I couldn't understand how. He must be a pretty good actor, because I don't think he had stopped smiling the entire time I had seen him. He seemed like a pretty happy guy. 

"It would be pretty hard for me to have a pregnancy scandal, Dylan." 

Once again, it took me a second to realise why. I had presumed that he was bisexual, but I realised that's just because I was previously working on the basis that he liked women because he was with one in the park. In retrospect, that was stupid. 

"Sorry, I'm just nervous." I ducked my head, "I've actually never done this before."

"You've never been on a date?" Alex looked surprised.

"So, this is a date." I confirmed to myself.

"It's a date." 

I glanced up at Alex and saw that he was staring at me with a strange look on his face. I didn't really understand what he was thinking, but it didn't look like it was a bad expression. Sitting this close, I couldn't help but admire his face; he really was an attractive guy. In a ruggedly handsome way, he looked like he had simultaneously just rolled out bed and showed up, but also put in a charming amount of effort.